Help w/selecting correct radio equipment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a little tab at the top of the page called "SEARCH". Type in a key word and it will pull up a lot of useful threads that you can look through.

I type in the keyword "Radio" and this came up as one of the threads. It has all the info in it that you will need to make a good decision on choosing radio equipment.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/one-only-radio-thread-34162/?highlight=radio

This thread may help with your install as well:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/vhf-radio-install-pics-22108/?highlight=radio+installGood

Good luck with your project!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a little tab at the top of the page called "SEARCH". Type in a key word and it will pull up a lot of useful threads that you can look through.

I type in the keyword "Radio" and this came up as one of the threads. It has all the info in it that you will need to make a good decision on choosing radio equipment.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/one-only-radio-thread-34162/?highlight=radio

This thread may help with your install as well:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/vhf-radio-install-pics-22108/?highlight=radio+installGood

Good luck with your project!!!

Ok...I used that thread that you pointed out to select the items I placed in my original post. I spent a few hours reading that thread, as a matter of fact. I also went on Antenna Farm and read both the radio and antenna tutorials to try and educate myself. Once I had done all that, I posted this thread.

My goal was to get a sanity check from some of the folks on here who have done this before, since I have not. That way I don't go buying things I don't need, or that don't work. I can read and search for things all day(and trust me, I do), but that doesn't guarantee I'll have it right since I've never done it before. So since this is a FORUM I thought I would ask the question...

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey, just trying to help a new guy with his project. Not everyone knows about the search function or the benefit of using previous threads created by others that have done something that you are attempting.

good luck.....

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, just trying to help a new guy with his project. Not everyone knows about the search function or the benefit of using previous threads created by others that have done something that you are attempting.

good luck.....

No worries man. That's why I try and do my homework before I post. I'm trying to go on my first group run in Feb, and I'm going to need a radio. I'm not too worried about the install, but some of the technical aspects of the radios themselves really go over my head. That's why I wanted to get some clarification. If that stuff I posted works well together, I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on it.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like it should work just fine. My concern would be the 6.5' of cable on the antenna mount. How does that mount attach?

Don't worry. I just figured out today that the pl-259 and so-239 are the same ******* connector just male and female. Would've save me some time if I'd figured that out when I installed my last radio.

Click here to donate $5 for a chance to win $500 worth of Rogue Racing goodies!

freedommotorsports.us

Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it should work just fine. My concern would be the 6.5' of cable on the antenna mount. How does that mount attach?

Don't worry. I just figured out today that the pl-259 and so-239 are the same ******* connector just male and female. Would've save me some time if I'd figured that out when I installed my last radio.

From what I read it's a universal lip mount, so my plan was to mount it on one of my bed rails. That antenna doesn't require a ground plane, so it shouldn't need to be roof mounted. 6.5ft of cable may not be enough depending on where I mount the radio though. That was a good observation you made. Back to doing more research! >_<

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't spell so someone else will,have to fill in @mandoske Keith sells them sets um up.

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't spell so someone else will,have to fill in @mandoske Keith sells them sets um up.

I actually PM'd him a few days ago. I think he may be busy with snoball though. I'm debating whether to wait for him, or just order off amazon.