SoCal to Pirates Cove (Needles, CA/Colorado River)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorCoastie

NorCal Raptor Runs
Reaction score
Hello all,

Who: Anyone who enjoys Raptors, offroading said Raptors, Pirates Cove, the sun, beer, food, and fun.
What: Raptor Run (65% on road due to distance and time constraints, 35% offroad for fun requirements)
Where: SoCal to Pirates Cove (Needles, CA/The Colorado River) 100 Park Moabi Road, Needles, CA 92363
When: Friday July 14, 2017 0830 - Sunday July 16,2017 1600
Why: Give me reasons to not. I'll wait.

I'm writing this a few months in advance to hopefully find a few other people who may be interested in going from Southern CA (meet up location would be in Orange County area but is yet to be determined) and ending at Pirates Cove in Needles, CA along the Colorado River for a weekend of fun, a little offroading and relaxation.

The idea is to leave on Friday, meeting up at 0830 sharp in OC. The group would drive East on the 10 Freeway for 210 miles (EST: 3 Hrs), then take the US 95-N once we hit Blythe (Fuel if needed) taking that along the Colorado River for 45 miles to the 62 (Vidal Junction). From there we'll head east just a few miles and link up with the Bailey Mine trail, beginning the offroad portion. We'll take that all the way into Needles/Pirates Cove. (EST 55 miles).

We should arrive at Pirates Cove around 3 P.M.

We'll spend the rest of the weekend relaxing and doing what we all want. There's the possibility of taking the trucks out Saturday morning for a little run around Old Woman Mountain Wilderness area, Not required, but up for discussion if most want to do it.

Saturday night we can organize a group dinner at the restaurant there at Pirates Cove.

Sunday we'll enjoy the morning and depart midday and take freeways back to OC. I'm sure there are people who have to get ready for work the next day and don't like to roll back into town at 7-8 PM.

ROOM RATES:

As per the Pirates Cove website, the rooms are $399 per night during the times in which we're looking to go. This is for a whole condo. Which sleeps up to 6. They are two bedroom, two bathroom and two stories. This is a family weekend, not specifically a guys trip, and the two of us who are already planning on going are bringing wives/GF's, so please feel free to do bring your wife/GF/kids as well. If condo was shared by two couples, the cost would be $399 per couple for the whole weekends stay. I will be contacting Pirates Cove to see if we could get a group rate if we have more than say 10 couples or 20 people going (So taking up 5 condos). More to come on this later.

REQUIREMENTS:

The majority of our trip is onroad, so not much in the way of gear would be required in that regard, but there is a portion which is offroad. The terrain we will be crossing is not extremely harsh or difficult, but anything can happen. I'd ask that you please have the following gear:

VFH Radio (Standby for a freq to use) Group communication is important
GPS unit of some kind (Lowrance, GPX Tracker/Viewer on iPad/iPhone
1 spare tire
Some form or ability to raise your truck up in the event of needing to change a spare (Flat bottomed/offroad style jack, ect)
Small tool set/small amount of any appropriate fluids you think you may need (Coolant/oil, ect)
Water for all traveling in your party (1 gallon per person)
A good attitude

If this sounds like something you'd like to do, please write below and feel free to send me a text message as well and we can talk further if you'd like. I have a Gen 2 Raptor that is mostly stock. I'm looking forward to spending a few days relaxing and hanging out with like minded people and having fun with our trucks as well. I'm currently stationed at USCG STA Bodega Bay in Northern CA but I take about 3 weeks off every summer and go back home to Southern CA to visit family and do something like this. I'm trying to find a max of say 10 trucks to do this little run (Two of us are already in). Thanks guys! Let me know if you have any questions and I will update shortly about the possibility of a group rate at Pirates Cove. We will need to make reservations quickly so they are not all booked up.

- Chad (714) 833-8500