AMP power step help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatman

Reaction score
I have newly installed AMP power steps. occasionally they don't retract all the way. instructions say they could be binding and tell you to unbolt one of the actuators and adjust. i did that and they still randomly decide to not fully retract. if i give them a little push on the way up they will close no problem. Any ideas before i smash them? thanks

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have newly installed AMP power steps. occasionally they don't retract all the way. instructions say they could be binding and tell you to unbolt one of the actuators and adjust. i did that and they still randomly decide to not fully retract. if i give them a little push on the way up they will close no problem. Any ideas before i smash them? thanks

lol - don't smash them! Have you tried to call AMP and ask for help? Sounds like something is just a 'little' out of adjustment if they fully retract with a simple nudge.

Maybe a small stone or some sand caught just in the right hinge place......

Good luck!!!

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd silicone spray the hinges/pins/motor and let it ride up and down a few times. Also make sure that there isn't a stone or something stuck like Ruby said. Do you have them hardwired or with the OBDII?

OP
OP
Fatman

Fatman

Reaction score
I'd silicone spray the hinges/pins/motor and let it ride up and down a few times. Also make sure that there isn't a stone or something stuck like Ruby said. Do you have them hardwired or with the OBDII?

they are with the OBDII. and i have had to unplug a few times so i could read codes (another issue). i noticed the problem has started since i have had to unplug it, could be a coincidence?

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are with the OBDII. and i have had to unplug a few times so i could read codes (another issue). i noticed the problem has started since i have had to unplug it, could be a coincidence?

Could be a damaged harness or connector. I'd personally spray the shit out of the hinges and motor assembly with a hose, dry them, and silicone spray them. See if it helps. I'd then call Amp directly and see if they can diagnose the issue. Last on my steps would be to replace the harness with the OBDII Pass Through, so you don't have to unplug it to read codes. Good luck, I've had amps on my last two trucks, they're one of my favorite mods.

Edit: I'd also check the set screws that mount the boards and make sure the boards are fully seated.

OP
OP
Fatman

Fatman

Reaction score
thanks to you all. i will get on it in the morning and report back. New to me truck! Love it but few little things driving me crazy

OP
OP
Fatman

Fatman

Reaction score
Alright despite all the snow, ice, and road salt, I loosened everything up and made some adjustments and sprayed it all with silicone. Seems fine now. they were definitely binding up a bit. I called AMP and they were helpful but pretty much said exactly what you all said. thanks!