Exedy / Circle D 6r80 Stage 2 Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beefcake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this info on the Mustand Forums. But thought I would share here as well, as we put the 6r80's through some abuse in these big trucks as well.

Thought I would share a pic of the stage 2 clutch upgrade from Exedy.

We previously tested the stage 1 upgrades from exedy. The stage 1's really are designed to help release heat from the clutches, they aren't really designed for more hp / torque holding capacity. But, if your wearing out the trans on say an n/a or a base boost kit, this could be a nice upgrade.

The stage 1 upgrades are an easier install as well. We were able to do them in house at my crew chiefs shop, Finish Line Performance. Brian was a trans tech by trade for years though, I wouldn't have just anyone rip your trans apart. If they have experience, they should be able to perform the upgrade.

For the stage 2 upgrades, we sent the trans to Kyle @ Circle D transmissions. Exedy provided him with the stage 2 upgrades to install in the transmission.

The stage 2's should be good for abour 40% more holding capacity. To get the extra 40% holding capacity. Machining to the drums needs to be done.

Kyle mentioned he had a 2nd transmission there for testing as well, but he was waiting on parts for it.

When I asked him why, he mentioned some scarring and bearing issues. I told him it sounded like the exact same problem that I had with mine last year.

Here are the pics that he sent me, I can't find mine, but they were pretty much identical.

trans1.jpg

trans2.jpg

trans3.jpg

I had originally thought maybe the 1 piece driveshaft may be partially to blame. However, after doing the stage 1 upgrades, we swapped back to the stock driveshaft. Kyle told me you could already see the support bearing wearing out again on the trans.

Below are some pics of the before and after clutch packs / drums.

OEM Left packs, Exedy Stage 2 Right packs

Kyle also made improvements to the support bearing, and a lube mod as well, but at this time, the pics are not to be made public. I imagine it will be proprietary to Circle D.

circled.jpg

I should have the trans back tomorrow. I'll keep you updated on how it feels.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I know of Circle D's work with the 6L80 transmission (came in G8's, Camaros and Vettes) and they are a quality outfit. Looking forward to hearing more.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Old thread but what is the update.

Also did you ever look into WPC treating some of the parts to reduce friction heat?

OP
OP
beefcake

beefcake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread but what is the update.

Also did you ever look into WPC treating some of the parts to reduce friction heat?

yes, we have been upgrading the billet intermediate shafts in billet, and also doing the exedy stage 2s

holding quite a bit of power

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will the mustang stage 2 kit for the 6r80 fit? or does it need something else?