2024 Incredibly Thin Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.2 mil is wild. Almost to the point I'd be skeptical. It'd physically be difficult to have that thin of paint through e-coat, primer, base and clear.
thats y i think bad gauge .i would try another

OP
OP
S

Subaruski

Reaction score
I'll check with him and see when the last time was he calibrated the gauge.

usuallu 2.5 -4.0 ,usually 1.5 is just for the clear ,maybe that gauge is not working correct,but car paints r getting thinner and thinner

He was getting consistent readings all around the truck that were sub 1.5mil. And then the front clip was very thick 10+ everywhere. Which could make sense as that is sprayed separately then the body/bed.

thats y i think bad gauge .i would try another

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score

He was getting consistent readings all around the truck that were sub 1.5mil. And then the front clip was very thick 10+ everywhere. Which could make sense as that is sprayed separately then the body/bed.
also u should change the gauge from mils ,to um (microns) measurement its more precise ,a normal car would be 40-50 um of clear .i think 1.4 mills is 36 um total ,if that's true that paint almost not correctable

Last edited:

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the gauge might be right ,i just an artical online about 2024 raptor paint being under 1.5 mils

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely applied by robot. Incredibly consistent finishes, but if the settings are off, oh boy... that means a LOT of trucks have some thin-a55 paint. Yikes.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely applied by robot. Incredibly consistent finishes, but if the settings are off, oh boy... that means a LOT of trucks have some thin-a55 paint. Yikes.
def robots ,1.2 is 31 microns ,total , divide by say equal coats ,primer base clear ,ur looking at 10 microns of clear, with 1-3 microns removed on an average correction,does not leave much for future or an errors. so get it corrected and ppf

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know we all talk %*^& about Toyota on here, but I remember the older sequoias actually had 100lbs of paint on them. Don’t fact check me lol… sounds ridiculous ,but some old j a p SUVs had incredible paint.

Domin0

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we all talk %*^& about Toyota on here, but I remember the older sequoias actually had 100lbs of paint on them. Don’t fact check me lol… sounds ridiculous ,but some old j a p SUVs had incredible paint.
Getting off-topic here, but my LX450 had the most incredibly durable paint of any vehicle I’ve ever seen.