Winch: What kind is on your Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fillmoreranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many Raptors are equipped with a winch? What brand and model is on your Raptor? Front or rear mounted?

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't have one, if I did I would go with the largest Warn I could fit behind the front bumper.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. The front suspension is so dialed on the Raptor that not many of us are willing to pay the penalty of hanging 120+lbs off the front.

I have an off road ready box I carry around in the bed all the time, and part of that box's standard equipment is one of these:

AmsteelBlue2-2175.jpg

The Wyeth-Scott Co. - portable winches | cable puller | come along winches

I bought the 3 ton dead lift "Amsteel Blue" synthetic rope version. It weighs 25lbs; an easy weight penalty to pay for the only half dozen times I hope to ever need it over the life of my Raptor.

I point out that that's a "dead lift" rating because winches are typically listed at their "pull" rating which is roughly a 2x multiplier on its dead lift rating. Or to put it another way to compare apples to apples, my power puller is equivalent to a 12k lb winch.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^Don't forget the bumper, and mounting hardware. Obviously if you're adding a bumper anyway you're ahead of the game...

Do you think 10.5 is enough for these trucks?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Considering the 2010/2011 Raptor is a very capable offroad vehicle to begin with. The addition of the Torsen front end on 2012 Raptor adding to its off road abilities. Yes, I do think 10,500 is adaquate for self recovery of the Raptor.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought, not an expert at all, your winch should be twice your vehicle weight. You would need at least a 12k if that's correct.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That was my understanding as well. And also too you should pad that number some since the rating is usually only at the extreme end of the spool (best case), not where you're most likely to use it? (Which as I understand it is why lots of people who use winches and come-a-longs in industrial settings will always use dead lift ratings, not pull ratings. Dead lift numbers are consistent regardless of spool width, where as pull ratings vary as the cable spools in or out.)

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree, your winch rating should be at least twice vehicle, for extra padding. Everything that I have read says 1.5 times GVW..
(example http://www.4x4now.com/bb0197.htm)

So based on this Raptor GVW is aprox 7,000 lbs x 1.5 = 10,500 lbs

To me this winch is a compromise between weight penalty and being caught totally unprepared.

I always follow cardial rule and never 4x4 alone, because $hit does happen.