GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasquatch78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will find that many complaints with the ecoboost over the years (2017 included) are regarding engine overheating. People show readings of 250F and the engine derates to protect (also no boost). Once it gets back under 240, turbos kick back in.

Most complaints about the ecoboost are people who log on to the internet and find posts by you.

Ford Raptor Forum users will find that MGD is actually not even old enough to drive, and does not even own a car or truck.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One one hand people believe that Ford developed the best cooling system possible and that it's not possible to do something to improve it.....

On the other hand Ford developed plastic oil and transmission pans.....hmmm

Water Wetter works. Just because it's only $10 and we are used to paying a 50% markup on Raptor stuff doesn't mean it will not work. IDGAF what anybody else says.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Ford must of figure something out. The front license plate used to be off to the side, now it’s dead center. Or what?

This was part of the fix for warding off the moisture buildup in the intercooler. 11-14 had significant moisture issues in the intercooler, so that’s why ford installed active shutters in front of the intercooler and also center-mounted the front plate bracket.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One one hand people believe that Ford developed the best cooling system possible and that it's not possible to do something to improve it.....

On the other hand Ford developed plastic oil and transmission pans.....hmmm

Water Wetter works. Just because it's only $10 and we are used to paying a 50% markup on Raptor stuff doesn't mean it will not work. IDGAF what anybody else says.

You should put some ice cubes in your radiator fluid too, I heard it lowers temps as well.

In all honesty, if you want a cooler running truck - get a 170-180F thermostat and have your tune adjusted so it kicks on the eFans sooner... Not some water wetter crap that only makes a couple degrees difference.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should put some ice cubes in your radiator fluid too, I heard it lowers temps as well.

In all honesty, if you want a cooler running truck - get a 170-180F thermostat and have your tune adjusted so it kicks on the eFans sooner... Not some water wetter crap that only makes a couple degrees difference.

Thanks for your expert and firsthand advice.

I have a 170f thermostat on the way. I threw in the water wetter to see if it actually did work. For $10 it’s not a big deal really.

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude

The thermostat only kicks on at a cooler temp. That’s not the problem when you’re jamming on her. If it’s over 200 with the coolant flowing wide and the radiate fan running.... a lower thermostat isn’t going to do anything.

All it’ll do is make it longer for your truck to warm up and let it run colder at
Low speeds.

Now that dude... is useless.

Improving thermal transfer for 10 bucks.

Stellar.

So you went from.... it does nothing... to it works a few degrees. We made progress.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude

The thermostat only kicks on at a cooler temp. That’s not the problem when you’re jamming on her. If it’s over 200 with the coolant flowing wide and the radiate fan running.... a lower thermostat isn’t going to do anything.

All it’ll do is make it longer for your truck to warm up and let it run colder at
Low speeds.

Now that dude... is useless.

Improving thermal transfer for 10 bucks.

Stellar.

So you went from.... it does nothing... to it works a few degrees. We made progress.

What aren't you getting?

The lower thermostat opens at a lower temp and allows the motor to run cooler.

The fans kick in sooner to force more air through the radiator much sooner than stock

You know, resulting in lower temps overall.

For someone who comes off as the self proclaimed "king of knowledge" you don't know shit. Anyone claiming water wetter makes any type of difference is a goon, sorry. Please, remind me how many race cars you've built and addressed cooling issues?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never said I was the king of knowledge, but I do know what I know.

Explain to me this scenario.

Truck A has a stock thermostat and stock fans.

It runs consistently over 200 degrees for more than 20 minutes of hard driving. It peaks into the 230’s and almost 240.

Truck B has a 170 degree thermostat and reprogrammed fans. It too is running over 200 degrees consistently for over 20 minutes of hard driving.

At what point is truck B going to benefit from a 170 degree thermostat? When the temperature drops below the stock set point? Except both trucks, for the duration of the hard driving.... did not drop Below the stock thermostat.

So In this scenario... and in the scenario that matters.... both thermostats are wide open and both radiator fans are running.... and both trucks are running hot and are overwhelming the stock cooling system.

Water wetter dropped my peak temps into the 2-teens and rarely above 220. To me that’s worth 10 bucks. Further, according to plenty of testing.... it may even have a greater effect on cylinder head temperature.

Just wait for everyone who is willing to spend 10 bucks who tries it and reports back. I don’t think there is anything unique about my truck or it’s cooling system. The effect will be universal.

You’re also assuming again that I’ve never owned a race car, an exotic, or Anything else other than an ecoboost Raptor. You have to stop doing that. It weakens your argument. You were doing fine until then.

I really don’t get into the particulars of my private life because it’s not relevant. I appreciate that you share more about yourself though and I enjoyed your car photos. I think you’re a hard working guy and you’re contributing to society. You’re a stubborn sucker though.

What aren't you getting?

The lower thermostat opens at a lower temp and allows the motor to run cooler.

The fans kick in sooner to force more air through the radiator much sooner than stock

You know, resulting in lower temps overall.

For someone who comes off as the self proclaimed "king of knowledge" you don't know shit. Anyone claiming water wetter makes any type of difference is a goon, sorry. Please, remind me how many race cars you've built and addressed cooling issues?

Last edited:

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/CPmJDdFwMvo

So here is a bloke in a 2017 Regular ecoboost.
He’s towing up a small grade.

He overheats.

He has no tune.

Same cooling capacity as a Raptor.

He should have used the water wetter.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Now the armchair Einsteins will chime in about how there must be something wrong with how he was driving or how much he towed, or that he has a defective truck.

What is the frontal cross section of the travel trailer? Hint, most exceed the recommended frontal cross section for 1/2 ton trucks.

First he is towing across the southwest desert in September.
Two, 80 will have twice the drag as 55 mph
Three, at 70-80 he might as well be dragging a parachute
Four, he is in a higher gear, running slow cylinder speeds which lead to higher cylinder pressures and hes running between 10 and max boost.

At one point he mentions I am WOT.

We aren't arm chair Einsteins, he is what we call the "General Public." AKA as a f-ing idiot.

---------- Post added at 04:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

I don't know if I would run a cooler thermostat. The entire engine and lubrication system has tolerances and nominal temperatures designed to operate in a relative narrow band. If the truck overheats a cooler thermostat won't do anything. By that point the thermostat is wide open whether 170 or 195 and you have simply exceeded the mechanical capability of the system.

Lastly, there are different temperatures throughout the system. Radiator outlet, radiator inlet, engine outlet and another for the liquid to liquid heat exchanger for the oil. It is hard to say but the temperature gauge in the truck likely represents the fluid leaving the block before being cooled, ie the hottest value.