Vehicle settings for drag racing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I also thought that the E locker held all the way to 100

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/trails-part-ii-1011/

The E-Locker will stay engaged in ORM. This is something I put together with JP7.

1479d1297779911-trails-part-ii-raptor-orm-chart.jpg

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, great thread! I was just wondering the other day what settings would be best to take my Shelby mudding. LOL

I doubt that driving the Raptor on a drag strip with anything close to a stock setup can give you anything better than a 15 second time. Maybe 16s even. Someone asked me to run my truck a couple months ago, but I just didn't get excited for it. I am a bit curious to see how you guys do tho if you do it...

Fozzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I played with the manual shift mode for a hour or so and the lag between hitting the button and the truck actually shifting is hard to get right. The truck does a better job on its own. I do like the manual mode when I tow. The T/H mode wants to keep it in 4th when going slow and I manual shift it to stay in second or third. Manual is also good when you have the cutouts open. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
You have to watch though. If you shift yourself and let the tach get into the red, all power gets cut. That would be embarrassing in a race. Leave it in drive.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should get a video of the racing to show us :waytogo:

I'll definitely get a vid together. I'll compile it up with a few snapshots of the truck towing my buddy's L, unhitching, then going out on the track :peace: lol

Isn't our locker the only locker that stays engaged up to 100 mph? Also, wouldn't you want it to be in Manual so you could get max revs?

Locker, see below.

Manual mode, as mentioned, it's not instantaneous, and you don't always want to just wind the gears out alllll the way just for the sake of winding them out. Let the computer do it on it's own, it's certainly not going to slow you down.

Only in offroad mode will the locker stay locked above 20mph..

-Greg

I thought that in ORM it was still only engaged up to 45 mph or something like that. I'll have to take a look in the booklet again. Even still, you're only going to need the locker on the launch anyway. There's no way one of these huge t-rex turds is going to be breaking tires loose mid-way down the track.

Wow, great thread! I was just wondering the other day what settings would be best to take my Shelby mudding. LOL

I doubt that driving the Raptor on a drag strip with anything close to a stock setup can give you anything better than a 15 second time. Maybe 16s even. Someone asked me to run my truck a couple months ago, but I just didn't get excited for it. I am a bit curious to see how you guys do tho if you do it...

I think most guys run real low 15's with stock trucks. Although I think there may have been a few high 14's stock? They're definitely faster than 16's. My 00 HD truck ran 16's bone stock and what a DOG! The Raptor is definitely faster than the N/A 5.4 trucks even despite the weight of the newer trucks, because the 4.10's and 6 speed trans really gives an edge up over 3.55's and 4 speed trans. They're certainly no lightning, but they aren't a total slouch. I'd say low 15's is a pretty safe bet.

I played with the manual shift mode for a hour or so and the lag between hitting the button and the truck actually shifting is hard to get right. The truck does a better job on its own. I do like the manual mode when I tow. The T/H mode wants to keep it in 4th when going slow and I manual shift it to stay in second or third. Manual is also good when you have the cutouts open. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also use the manual shift to lock out higher gears when towing. so you don't need to put it into manual mode, but use the manual button selector, and it will lock out whatever top gears you want.

I haven't towed with mine yet, first time will probably be in April, but I'm looking forward to all the new gadgets.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the different settings these trucks have I am not sure which one or a combination of ones would give me the best 1/4 mile performance, do I put it in off road sport mode and engage the locking rear end? or just leave everything alone and just floor it!

Leave it in D. T/H button on the shifter. Lock the rear end.

Maybe press the "burn-out" button for ten seconds?

No ORM. No 4x4HI.

OP
OP
oldstreetracer
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, it makes perfect sense to turn the diff lock on (so both tires turn at the same speed when launching),

to leave it in drive (because the cpu is faster at shifting then we are),

and to turn off the traction control off (so it does not apply the brakes when the tires spin),

but what would the tow/haul button do for you???