UV Dye — Ford Gen 2 and 3 Raptor Engine Oil ‘Leak & Consumption TSBs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diablo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can pull a turbo Subaru engine, replace the clutch and put it all back in like 3.5 hours with one helper.
Yeah, but then you still just have a ........ subaru.... correct? Forgive me, most of my experience with various Subaru models happened when driving behind them where it was unsafe/illegal to pass, or when traveling and the only rental car left at the airport was a subaru, so I saw the word "subaru" and completely missed the point of your point, so if I may ask, what does replacing anything on a subaru, or an abrams tank have to do with the hours for the work in question?

Last edited:

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but then you still just have a ........ subaru.... correct? Forgive me, most of my experience with various Subaru models happened when driving behind them where it was unsafe/illegal to pass, or when traveling and the only rental car left at the airport was a subaru, so I saw the word "subaru" and completely missed the point of your point, so if I may ask, what does replacing anything on a subaru, or an abrams tank have to do with the hours for the work in question?
The post prior to mine mentioned an 8 hr pull and replace ‘back in the day’. This implies that newer cars have a more complicated process. My post was to say ‘not all newer cars’.

Sorry for the confusion and offense caused by mentioning a different brand.

OP
OP
mcgilla

mcgilla

Reaction score
Plastic Injection Molded Parts often fail — after the warranty period

Residual Von Mises Stress is induced during plastic injection molding process where the flowing plastic can be modeled as a Killing vector field** with at least one ‘zero [flow] velocity point’.

Physically, that zero [flow] velocity occurs when the plastic flowing into the mold twists around a point [a simplification**] — It is often these points that later develop pinpoint or hairline cracks.

Engineering often fails to fully account for these injection molding stresses. Fortunately better software tools [ex. Moldex3D] are improving the design process to account for Residual Von Mises Stress. — http://support.moldex3d.com/2020/en/4-1-10-2_vonmisesstress.html

“”[detail] **Killing vector fields [on the two-sphere] the part below is effectively a two-sphere] are not globally orthonormal —— “”they are neither orthogonal, nor of unit length for points in general position. They cannot be globally normalized by the "hairy ball theorem", in that one "**cannot comb the hair on a sphere without leaving a tuft or a bald spot".””— https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_vector_fieldhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_ball_theorem

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcgilla

mcgilla

Reaction score
An aside >—:D—< Given some of the flippant comments, here, I best tell you that I’m not the aforementioned Sasquatch you’re hunting. Undoubtedly, I’m his doppelgänger, by the posts above. Or was it just my persona?

Comments to the above posts: Although, the driver’s side valve cover can be replaced in 4 hours, the passenger side has a cam driven high-pressure pump and more harnesses to deal with. Ford recommends both valve covers be replaced in the TSB after a lengthy diagnosis TSB.

As some of you may know, Ford will quote both the diagnosis TSB, and if more than 1 quart oil or more is consumed in 3000 miles then both valve covers are replaced. Hopefully, most of you are still under warranty. That was not the case, here, on the ‘17.

I’ve given extensive detail as many folks on this forum are after-warranty and will eventually encounter these repairs detailed in several TSBs well known to savvy Ford enthusiasts. I’d hoped that Ford would extend warranties for these TSB related to plastic parts failing to a broader cohort. After calling on Ford — I’d found that NTSB only requires Ford to extend warranties on plastic defects that imply safety related issues —— even though it could be argued that these defects occurred in manufacturing. There are several posts in this very forum that referenced hairline cracks in new parts. Gen 2, ‘17-20, appear to have the most posts on ‘driver’s side hairline crack in valve cover and oil separator valve TSBs.

[Gen 2, ‘17 driver’s side valve cover after replacement. There are nearly a dozen fir-trees on each valve cover. Do not attempt to pry the fir trees out as you’ll likely damage the wiring harnesses which is a very costly and time consuming repair. Use a very small flush cutter avoiding the potential to nick the harness — https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GTMZHG/?tag=fordraptorforum-20 ;
When replacing valve covers it is necessary to cut the one-piece 1/4” hole ‘fir-trees’. Ford OEM are made by Panduit [PUM-071-2S-D30 —https://www.panduit.com/content/dam/panduit/en/products/media/9/09/809/3809/33809.pdf]. Recommend these, instead, as they are very similar — and available in small quantities at $20 for 100 — https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LTJ6TQ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20 [1/4” fir trees are the most common automotive wiring harness tie.]

7E5B444B-7181-44D0-B876-CAFBA7B125C2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcgilla

mcgilla

Reaction score
Summary — If you find oil pooled on this bolt you likely have the aforementioned TSB ‘hairline crack and/or oil separator issues. …And all ‘outlier or ‘nerdy forum members will be hazed as a Sasquatch. :33::33::33::33:

Attachments

• 722A4C70-AA9F-4EAA-AE12-97151DB770A7.jpeg
    722A4C70-AA9F-4EAA-AE12-97151DB770A7.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Summary — If you find oil pooled on this bolt you likely have the aforementioned TSB ‘hairline crack and/or oil separator issues. …And all ‘outlier or ‘nerdy forum members will be hazed as a Sasquatch. :33::33::33::33:
You consider yourself an "outlier" or "nerdy"??!! How about "nutcase"? Who in their right mind joins a forum specifically to post what you have? Go back to the woods Squatch.