Truck trans locked in PARK if not started?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came across a situation where the truck wouldn't start (frozen water in fuel line) so I wanted to push or pull the truck out of the way so I could get another vehicle out of the driveway.

How can you shift it to Neutral if its not started? my trans is locked unless the engine is started..

20 yrs of owning a manual...never considered this?

sp2pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the key
Without pressing on the brake pedal, press the start button. It should put the truck into accessories mode(radio, dash lights etc).
Then press the brake pedal and move the shifter.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I came across a situation where the truck wouldn't start (frozen water in fuel line) so I wanted to push or pull the truck out of the way so I could get another vehicle out of the driveway.

How can you shift it to Neutral if its not started? my trans is locked unless the engine is started..

20 yrs of owning a manual...never considered this?

Under the pencil tray is a cover that lets you access the shifting mechanism. If I recall correctly, that is how the tow release is activated.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Under the pencil tray is a cover that lets you access the shifting mechanism. If I recall correctly, that is how the tow release is activated.

yea they have something like this on all vehicles with a brake live lockout.