Transmission : service writer said he wasn't going to change the filter??? Is this how ford rolls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the service manager. He said “ we hook it up to the machine and it flushes the system so we don't have to remove the pan and or change the filter. $400 + for the service is this a scam??? When I asked about changing the filter he said it would be closer to $700.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the service manager. He said “ we hook it up to the machine and it flushes the system so we don't have to remove the pan and or change the filter. $400 + for the service is this a scam??? When I asked about changing the filter he said it would be closer to $700.
There is no Ford procedure for that, only for draining and refilling the fluid via dropping the pan. The method the dealer is using is a fluid exchange machine. Definitely not worth $400, what is the reason for doing it?

OP
OP
thatJeepguy

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no Ford procedure for that, only for draining and refilling the fluid via dropping the pan. The method the dealer is using is a fluid exchange machine. Definitely not worth $400, what is the reason for doing it?
I wanted to service the trans at 50k because I'm keeping this truck for at least 150k miles. He also stated that the service cleans the filter in the trans . Couldn't believe what I was hearing. I guess Ill have to call around. The only thing he said that made sense was if you just drop the pan it leaves a lot of fluid in the tq converter etc…

OP
OP
thatJeepguy

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If a fluid exchange machine will clean a transmission filter, don't you wonder why they don't also do oil changes that way?

It's rather insulting, isn't it, to be flim-flammed in a way that indicates that the scammer thinks you're both gullible and an idiot?
Indeed, i was like come-on-now…

I just hung up. Its disappointing honestly.

So what is the procedure by the book then? Just drop the pan? Or drop pan, change filter and then flush?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Indeed, i was like come-on-now…

I just hung up. Its disappointing honestly.

So what is the procedure by the book then? Just drop the pan? Or drop pan, change filter and then flush?
Drop the pan, let it drain, clean the pan magnet, replace the filter and seal. Flushing it only necessary for the lines and coolers if the fluid was contaminated with debris from a failure.

OP
OP
thatJeepguy

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drop the pan, let it drain, clean the pan magnet, replace the filter and seal. Flushing it only necessary for the lines and coolers if the fluid was contaminated with debris from a failure.
If I replace the oil cooler to a larger one “full race” does the cooler hold a lot of fluid or does it drain.?

UsedRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2020 Serviced at 50 and 100k now have an issue with 8th gear. Temp climbs to 221-222 degrees and pukes a little out the vent. Loss of power, hunting for a gear. Happens when in a prolonged climb under 6-7 lbs of boost. All other gears normal operation and operating temp. Long warranty trying to follow manual. 2018 Expedition didn't touch it no issues through the 100k we had it. Curse of service it or don't service it.

UsedRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had it in to Ford. Replaced a thermostat somewhere in the system. Didn't solve the issue. Dropping it off on the 21st. I actually like the service department at my local dealership, so I'll see where it leads.