GEN 2 Toyo M/T vs R/T

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paravitium

Reaction score
Looking for anyone with experience on both tires with their Gen 2. I have the M/T and love it; however, I’m wondering if the R/T is worth a look for an increase in fuel mileage. I know both tires are heavy and I’m not expecting much. But if anyone can definitively say that the R/T will yield an increase in MPG then I’m all ears. I need a new set soon. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have driven on Toyo M/Ts for years and a buddy the same on his R/Ts. He has hung with me and visa vera in Dirt, Mud and Snow so I don't think you will see any noticeable offroad issues. I like the more aggressive tread of the M/T. You can't go wrong with either, if Mileage is much better with the R/T and important to you, you should give them a try.

OP
OP
Paravitium

Paravitium

Reaction score
I have driven on Toyo M/Ts for years and a buddy the same on his R/Ts. He has hung with me and visa vera in Dirt, Mud and Snow so I don't think you will see any noticeable offroad issues. I like the more aggressive tread of the M/T. You can't go wrong with either, if Mileage is much better with the R/T and important to you, you should give them a try.

Thanks for the insight. Can you clarify if you are saying that the mileage (is) much better? Or are you saying indeed (if) it is. Just curious, cheers!

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Can you clarify if you are saying that the mileage (is) much better? Or are you saying indeed (if) it is. Just curious, cheers!

I think the tire is just as good, but don't know the specific difference in MPG between them. Considering the R/T is like 5 lbs lighter per tire, that's a lot less rotating mass, so it's got to get better MPG based on the math.

OP
OP
Paravitium

Paravitium

Reaction score
I think the tire is just as good, but don't know the specific difference in MPG between them. Considering the R/T is like 5 lbs lighter per tire, that's a lot less rotating mass, so it's got to get better MPG based on the math.

Yeah, makes sense. [emoji1360]

baja619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the Toyo Open Country M/T for years on my daily. It is a great tire for heavy off roading.
We actually ran the DOT Tires racing in SCORE / CODE / & Record off road desert racing down in Baja California with great success.

That being said, when I needed a new set for the daily, I went and purchased a set of R/T Tires. I am much happier with the daily driver now and the tire's street characteristics compared to the M/T.
Overall, it is much quieter, and a smoother rolling tire. I dont get looks from people across the parking lot anymore. The tread pattern is way more appropriate for driving on the street. And it appears to have a longer road life.

Off road, the R/T may have a different compound or something. They do great off road, everything I need it to do all of the time, but I did chew them up a little more than I thought I would mashing around at King of the Hammers.
However I was running full air pressure, instead of airing down for the rocks, so I suspect that was the main reason.

OP
OP
Paravitium

Paravitium

Reaction score
I ran the Toyo Open Country M/T for years on my daily. It is a great tire for heavy off roading.
We actually ran the DOT Tires racing in SCORE / CODE / & Record off road desert racing down in Baja California with great success.

That being said, when I needed a new set for the daily, I went and purchased a set of R/T Tires. I am much happier with the daily driver now and the tire's street characteristics compared to the M/T.
Overall, it is much quieter, and a smoother rolling tire. I dont get looks from people across the parking lot anymore. The tread pattern is way more appropriate for driving on the street. And it appears to have a longer road life.

Off road, the R/T may have a different compound or something. They do great off road, everything I need it to do all of the time, but I did chew them up a little more than I thought I would mashing around at King of the Hammers.
However I was running full air pressure, instead of airing down for the rocks, so I suspect that was the main reason.

Thank you for the reply, can you give me any numbers has to how much your MPG improved moving to the R/T from the M/T? Anything noticeable?