The FRF Shock Shootout! All pre event details and discussion here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, so..... In quantifiable numbers that we can all see proof of, what setup is bestest for the buyers money.

It seems like the old Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing. Feelings and opinions are fine and dandy for talk and all. Opinions are like ********, everyone has one and each values their own. Nobody cares about your damn feelings.

PROOF, people, we need PROOF!!!

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I assume everyone who upgraded to 3.0's, regardless of manufacturer, also changed out the rear leafs for a progressive one? (Deavers or Nationals). Also wondering if I have one of the vendors do my install at TRR, how important is the alignment- since I won't be able to get that done til I get back home?

Come by Rock & Roll, we can install and align before, or we can align you afterwords before you go home.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
OK, one more question. The Icon guys talk about on-road comfort. Does this mean the (RPG tuned) Fox shocks ride rough on the road compared to stock? As this is my DD, I don't want to sacrifice much on-road comfort.

I know they kick ass off road and I would prefer to deal with RPG but this is my only hesitation...

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Rich

The FOX 3.0 ride on-road is smooth like butter. At least as smooth as stock shocks, and probably better imho. I have read all of this shock shoot-out thread to date. I also have not experimented with Kings or ICONS, so my OPINION is what it is. Sounds like some of the hard-core offroaders believe ICON is the way to go for mega pounding - there is certainly no faster way for an individual driver to tune for an extended run with severe badness. And it probably is a lot of fun to play with all the settings.

In the past it is true that just slapping on a set of out-of-the-box untuned Fox 3.0's and hitting the rough stuff will lead to less than desirable results. You really need to go with the RPG-tuned Fox 3.0's to experience their best Raptor-specific experience (unless you have a lot of time and deep pockets).

I like the adjustability feature of ICON but don't have to have it myself. Like you, my daily driving is 99% onroad with an occasional offroad venture, and a few Raptor Run pounders a year. RPG did a hell of a job tuning the FOX 3.0s the first time, and I am exchanging mine for their newly tuned version.

Apparently the FOX 3.0 is the ONLY one with INTERNAL BYPASS technology for the FRONT shocks due to their patent. There is a very good reason why winning baja race trucks run Bypass type shocks on all four corners. It has to do with overall performance over varying terrain. Here's some info (albeit vendor supplied) regarding internal bypass advantages that you will find interesting:

Fox 3.0 RPG-Tuned Coil-over Front Shocks | Raptor Performance Group

Honestly I believe most guys would just be happy to upgrade to any of these 3.0 offerings. Offroad performance gains compared to stock shocks it is at the very least like the difference going from an F150 to a Raptor.

I have pounded the hell out of these shocks with rocky and washboard terrain, big whoops, big jumps, etc and they have performed flawlessly. Yet they drive incredibly smooth on-road. The ICONs are smooth from what I hear. Just need to make the shock adjustments when going from onroad to offroad and vice versa (which is quickly and easily done).

Without bypass technology on the front - there is no one setting on an ICON for every type of terrain and eventuality that could be potentially encountered offroad either (as noted in the above link). One could optimally adjust for a specific terrain - say monster whoops, then get back out and adjust for the rocky trail, big jump, or the washboards, etc. I have a feeling that most guys are going to dial in their best setting and that is where it will mostly stay when offroad. Kinda like RPG is doing with their FOX 3.0 shocks.

Personally I would love to abuse them all, but so far I have enjoyed RPG's tuned FOX INTERNAL BYPASS 3.0 "set it and forget it" front version (the rear is actually adjustable for varying loads). And one should not neglect the fact that RPG beats the living shit out of their trucks during testing - including deep whoops, rough terrain and big jumps.

vaga3u7u.jpg

avuru9ev.jpg

yzydunav.jpg

And like you, I don't spare my truck when I'm hitting it offroad....

After watching motomute jump on top Of some insane whoops at the dunes that I doubt the $100k sand cars wouldn't even hit was incredible. Stock truck would have snapped in half, he glided right thorough them. I was immediately sold!
(I think whtrapta meant sold on the idea of upgrading to 3.0's in general)

My truck is always ready for whatever comes my way, no adjustments necessary - so far.

du7y9u5u.jpg

I am not advocating only one brand here. All of them are awesome! The ones I chose work great for what I do.

Ford Raptor Jump (58 Feet) - Lil Sahara Raptor Dune Run - YouTube

It's a tough call. Decide what your needs are. Do your homework. Pick your poison. Good luck and happy offroading! John

PS: 37's FTW !!!!!!

Last edited:

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Good to know from someone who pushes their truck offroad as hard as I do, John!

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second everything MotoMute has to say. I have had both, and now enjoying the RPG tuned version. night and day difference. Jumped it a dozen times with 700Lbs of gear in the back. On one two day trip with extra camping gear and two passengers we beat the hell out of it going from Barstow to Laughlin. Smiles from ear to ear. The front is now out-performing the rear, once again!

I am lucky enough to have several vehicles to choose to drive everyday, including my prized 2010 AMG E63 - one of the finest if not the finest sports sedan ever made, anyway I prefer driving my Raptor -so does that tell you anything about on road performance?

There is a reason why Fox Internal bypass shocks are on more off road Race winners than all the rest combined.

It will be interesting to hear how the ICONS perform and hold up on the mexico run next week. That will be a good test for them.

Happy Trails
G

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There WILL be some new videos coming out very soon, over some very harsh terrain. We'll be in Mexico for the San Felipe 250 in a few weeks, and Gordon Brown and myself will definitely find some good testing areas and get some video, both of us will have the Icons installed.

I agree that there isn't a lot of footage of many setups out there, but seeing a "testing" video where people pick and choose the best shots... on the best stretch... at the best speed... that's not really real life, where what's more important is all around performance, how it reacts to unexpected surprises, and overall comfort on AND off the trail. In all reality, likely less than 1% of owners even take their raptors on high speed whoop sections, let alone at 70+ MPH. Videos are entertaining, but show just a fraction of what's actually important for most peoples preference, especially considering what's shown in the videos is NOT what most owners are doing. And please don't feel like I'm pointing out your video spefically... I'm referring to any product promo video period.

Matt,

Can you tell us more about what happened in MX?

Saw this Icon blow its load
photo_zps9fb6bf32.jpg

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Matt,

Can you tell us more about what happened in MX?

Saw this Icon blow its load
photo_zps9fb6bf32.jpg

Word on the street is that one of the "other" trucks equipped with one of the "other" 3.0 shock brands had a major failure down in MX, why didn't you post about that? Oh that's right...only have to look a few posts up for that answer.

Off to take the ICONs off my truck now....not.

:troll3:

Status
Not open for further replies.