The 2017 Eco-Boost vs V8 Bench Racing / Whining thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richwoodrocket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure there is gonna be a v8 at a later time like the raptor originally had a 5.4 then later a 6.2...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
fyi ... the 5.4 was placed in the Raptor as the 6.2 was not yet ready when the 2010 was released. So it was not by design.

I think Ford will never put the V8 back into the Raptor as they have invested too heavily into the EB technology. The ONLY way I see a V8 ever in future Raptors if Ford releases a limited edition Raptor (like 1000 prod numbers) and charge customers 80K. And if this happens it would be 5.0L v8 TT ... so it would satisfy the V8 crowd but also tout their EB technology.

Pretty sure there is gonna be a v8 at a later time like the raptor originally had a 5.4 then later a 6.2...

richwoodrocket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fyi ... the 5.4 was placed in the Raptor as the 6.2 was not yet ready when the 2010 was released. So it was not by design.

I think Ford will never put the V8 back into the Raptor as they have invested too heavily into the EB technology. The ONLY way I see a V8 ever in future Raptors if Ford releases a limited edition Raptor (like 1000 prod numbers) and charge customers 80K. And if this happens it would be 5.0L v8 TT ... so it would satisfy the V8 crowd but also tout their EB technology.

Maybe they're working on something better than a v8? ;)

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think everyone forgets this is a NEW 3.5L ecoboost and not the current Ecoboost. But for a current comparison (the new ecoboost will be even better) lets see how the 3.5L ecoboost compares to the 6.2L.

Ecoboost:
Torque 460lb-.ft @ 2500rpm
HP 380 @ 5250rpm

6.2L:
Torque 435lb-.ft @ 4500rpm
HP 411 @ 5500rpm

So you get more torque at a hell of a lot lower rpm. What is there to hate about that? The new motor will be even better than current numbers so thats something to be happy about.

I get it though, the ecoboost doesnt sound manly so you lose your man card. Im married and comfortable with my sexuality so I have nothing to prove. Sign me up for the new Raptor.
This EB numbers are BS in the real world.
You can use numbers from a test bench that lets the rpm build slowly and allows the turbo charger to catch up and build the pressure to develop the torque and HP.
With a NA or SC engine there is a direct relation between rpm and power, no matter how quickly the rpm rise.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can use numbers from a test bench that lets the rpm build slowly and allows the turbo charger to catch up and build the pressure to develop the torque and HP.
With a NA or SC engine there is a direct relation between rpm and power, no matter how quickly the rpm rise.

To an extent, yes. If you throw a huge turbo on a tiny motor youre not going to see any low end torque and youll have a bunch of lag before any power rolls on. The reason the EB is twin turbo is so the turbos can be a lot smaller which allows them to spool much faster. Low end torque with turbos is not a new concept and nothing out of the ordinary, they have been doing it on diesels for decades.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Seriously?? There are hundreds of 3.5s that have been dyno'd by third parties that back up the claim of peak torque around 2500rpm. Lol at slow rate of rpm to let the turbo catch up.