Sync 3 (Radio + Nav) Freezing, Lagging and acting lobotomized

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first off, I am super sorry for any of you having trouble with your radionavthingy.

finally, to Ford... and I say this with as much love, humility, and respect possible.

Stop it! Just stop it! Stop trying to make a user interface that doesn't suck. You can't do it. And if it doesn't suck right now, it will suck in five years as technology evolves.

Just give me a big screen that is CarPlay and Android Auto compatible. I'll take it from there. That way we can all be friends, and not have to dislike each other.

K fine?

j3ff

Reaction score
I have 2018 Raptor with Sync 3. For the first 1+ year, everything worked flawlessly. But recently, Sync 3 is lagging (3-20 seconds between touching touch screen and/or using voice recognition) and freezing. Its brain was replaced last month, and it's doing it again (the lagging/freezing is possibly worse). Did I mention that BlueTooth occasionally disconnects while talking on the phone? Other times, the navigation display indicates GPS is not connected and it does not accurately depict where we are (sometimes 500-1000 feet off, sometimes scores of miles off).

Anyone run across this before? One dealer said they hadn't seen it before, and my dealer is pulling me back in for attempt #2 to fix lobotomized Sync 3.
i have an '18 as well and have recently begun having the exact same issues... guess a trip to the stealership is in my future; though i will try the soft reboot in the interim.

Reaction score
Yes, this is definitely the API Module. My dealer worked with Ford to get it replaced outside of warranty. I had to pay a little to get it replaced, but it fixed it with the new module. Everything that you are describing is exactly the issues I had with my 2018.

D3 SS 3D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cost to replace the API Module?, having similar issues with my 18' even after updating my Sync 3 yesterday.