Switching to 20" wheels and tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Northern Goat

Reaction score
This may have been discussed already, but I couldn't find an answer.

I had 35x12x20 wheels and tires on my 21 Tremor, but didn't like the harsh a choppy ride. The tire may have been E rated.

The ride is the only reason I traded it in and got a 23 Raptor with 37 package, because the ride is amazing.

But I still dont like the 17" wheels. Looking for suggestions on 37x12.5x20 tires that would ride similar to the stock 17s as Im old and like the smooth ride I currently have.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Not quite the same, but I had 20s with 37s on my Gen 2. Not as plush of a ride as the 17s. I am back on 17s with 37s.

37s on 20s will be better than 35s on 20s. But only you can make the call on what feels good to you.

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more sidewall you take away the worse your ride is going to get. The sidewall is essentially working as a dampening factor in your ride. You have all that Rubber and air to eat up vibrations and bumps before the suspension even has to do anything.

There are plenty of nice 17 inch wheels, 18s will likely not show a difference, if your stuck in going 20s look for a low load rating. I think wildpeaks, k02, baja boss tires are known to be pretty quiet.

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I had 18's on my Gen 2 with 37's, I have 17's on my gen 3 with 37's. Not much of a difference between 17 and 18 but going to a 20 will definitely change the ride quality especially if you go with a higher load rating than C or D. But the Gen 3 has less rear hop with the 5 link vs. leaf springs.

OP
OP
N

Northern Goat

Reaction score
The more sidewall you take away the worse your ride is going to get. The sidewall is essentially working as a dampening factor in your ride. You have all that Rubber and air to eat up vibrations and bumps before the suspension even has to do anything.

There are plenty of nice 17 inch wheels, 18s will likely not show a difference, if your stuck in going 20s look for a low load rating. I think wildpeaks, k02, baja boss tires are known to be pretty quiet.
Thanks may be I should rephrase my question as to if anyone know of any 35x12.5x20 tires with a c or d load rating.

BIGW0RM

Highest Access Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks may be I should rephrase my question as to if anyone know of any 35x12.5x20 tires with a c or d load rating.
I have never seen that. 18's with 37's look best to me. Im sticking with 17's but if I wanted the "big wheel" look, I would go for 18's with 37's which you can find in load D. You really don't want anything higher than load D on a raptor IMO.

Also, 20" wheel with 37" load E is going to weight like 120lbs++ per wheel The goal is to keep your tire weight around 103lbs. Or your MPG will suffer greatly. Your peppiness off the line will tank with 20's and 37's too. Just something to think about...

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tire rack only shows load E. seems like the specs you want are more suited to a diesel HD truck like a F250.

get a F250 tremor and put those wheels and tires on it :)

on a serious note, when they sold me my truck they did it on E rated tires. those duckers.... the ride was crap for a long time. and i could not for the life of me figure out why people loved the raptor soft ride for literally like 2 years. Then got load C KO2 with my new wheel set up and man what a difference. I think you have to weigh things out. you want the ride, or the donk like looks. you can always move away from the lightweight raptor platform and move to something heavier.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter