GEN 1 Sway Away (Stay Away?) help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cg22

Reaction score
Hello FRF I have a 2010 SCAB on 37’s currently running 2.5 sway aways up front(previous owner put them on). My current dilemma is the truck rides like complete crap compared to my 2014 SCREW which had factory fox on it.

I’m interested if anyone has suggestions for swapping springs for a less harsh ride? I lowered the preload/lift down one inch on both sides which made it slightly softer but also brought the front end down giving an unfavorable appearance. For reference the SAW’s had two inches of thread showing from coil over top to spring compression top nut when starting and now it is at 1” thread up top.

Thanks

philofab

Reaction score
Do the shocks need a rebuild? If they haven't been done in the last 30k I'd start there.

Do they use a standard style 3" ID spring? If so can you see the rates printed on them?

OP
OP
C

cg22

Reaction score
was not able to see any spring rate markings. Only the eibach logo. No apparent oil loss showing on shock body

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you took an inch of pre-load out of the spring and its still harsh, its the oil or the valving that is causing that.
The oil gets hammered pretty quick, doesn't need to be leaking for them to need a rebuild...
Find a good shop that knows how to rebuild shocks and take them apart. Look at the compression shim stack and soften up the valving. Add fresh oil and see where its at.
I don't know anyone that has run Sway-Away on the Raptor, so no first/second hand knowledge.
May want to invest in King/Fox/Icon instead of spending rebuild money on the Sways..

philofab

Reaction score
FYI, you can measure the coil diameter and length to figure out the rate.

If you've never been in those shocks have them rebuilt before you change the spring rate. Swayaways work the same internally as any other shock, no need to replace them. The Swayaway and King designs came from the same place, Kuster.

OP
OP
C

cg22

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply’s, looks like it’s a 700lb 14in spring. I’ll order the rebuild kit. Does a 700lb spring seem normal compared to other brands?

BoatzNHoes

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply’s, looks like it’s a 700lb 14in spring. I’ll order the rebuild kit. Does a 700lb spring seem normal compared to other brands?

FOX runs a 550 lbs/in x 16.73" (3.680" ID) in their aftermarket kit. Spring rates would be very similar to that of the factory.

What you are experiencing is a result of the spring; You have an SCAB and the rate is high...and also super short. Perhaps the rate is a tad more suited for the SuperCrew but still high in my opinion...As far as valving/rebuilding. Definitely worth revalving if moving into a new spring rate/length, and rebuilding them would be dependent on the mileage they have. If uncertain, having someone rebuild them would offer you the peace of mind and good for another 50k+.

With a little effort you can improve the ride with the Sway Aways. Or consider stepping up into a FOX or KING for the path of least resistance.