Sub help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Put my new MTX powered sub in last weekend. Sometimes it's really boomy and other times it sounds great.

So I stopped in at at Car Toys while I was in town today and the guy says I need a line output converter between my stock speaker wires and my RCA cables.

He says I'm amplifying an amplified signal and the LOC will clean it up. I bought it but haven't installed yet.

Does this guy know what he's talking about?

Last edited:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
it's not an amplified signal? you have a 2010 right? the bottom of your sub has the silver amp on it right? if so then the speaker lines you have running back there are pre-amp and you don't need a LOC

OP
OP
Madcowranch

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
OK, thanks Bird. He sounded so sure of himself but guess just wanted to sell me something.

So do you know of any reason why the sub is inconsistent? I'm rechecking all wiring.

mcasseba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2011 super crew are not pre amp and I installed audio control LC2i for 80 bucks. The nice think it has a remote start for the amp so you do not need to tap the fuse box.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
OK, thanks Bird. He sounded so sure of himself but guess just wanted to sell me something.

So do you know of any reason why the sub is inconsistent? I'm rechecking all wiring.

what did you have your "bass" setting on your head unit set to when you adjusted the gain and/or bass boost levels on your aftermarket amp? what do you have the SCV set at? what is your lpf set to?

OP
OP
Madcowranch

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Oooh maybe it's the SCV. I have mine set fairly high. Come to think of it that's when it gets boomy when I'm on the highway. Do you set your bass on the stereo to "0" then make the sub adjustments? Can't remember where mine was set. I assume I need to turn SCV down.

So since I have the line out converter should I install it or is it a waste of time and money?

And what the hell is lpf?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Oooh maybe it's the SCV. I have mine set fairly high. Come to think of it that's when it gets boomy when I'm on the highway. Do you set your bass on the stereo to "0" then make the sub adjustments? Can't remember where mine was set. I assume I need to turn SCV down.

So since I have the line out converter should I install it or is it a waste of time and money?

And what the hell is lpf?

i adjusted my amp with the bass set a few notches below the "0" in the middle. this way, i turn it up to "+1" notch and the bass pumps but the speakers aren't getting strained.

my SCV is set at 5.

lpf is the low pass filter, and you have a hpf (high pass filter) they each control which frequencies your sub can produce. if they are off, you can get some sloppy low frequency sounds and some "mid bass" sounds that ruin your sub.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got my gain on my sub all the way up with the stock setting 2 clicks above 0. Some times I'll put the stock back down 1+ depending whos in the truck.... parents usually. The MTX isn't very loud if stock is at 0 so make sure its 1 or 2 above 0 and your good to go. I pulled my signal wire and no problems with it turning on so the factory MTX amp is smart enough to know when to turn on due to signals from the RCAs. I think my SCV is at 3 maybe 4 but not 100% sure.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Also the LOC is for if you are getting signal off a speaker wire. That is for head units that don't have RCA jacks for signal output. With the Factory sub in your truck you already have just the signal wires (RCA signals) that went to the factory sub amp. Swing by the house and i'll look it over for you if you are still in doubt.