stuck on 3rd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

singh3204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the other day i was driving around and the truck got stuck on 3rd gear and really high rpm's for about thirty seconds and then it finally kicked into 4th and onward. anyone else experience something like this? thanks.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
In sport mode, sure. Were you in normal mode? Stock? Tuned? Pedal commander?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sport mode and stock except a cai.

that is how it is supposed to work. The last thing you want to happen is a shift in mid corner. Sport mode holds your gear untill it is 1,000% certain you are done playing around.

So if you are in sport mode and even remotely touch the throttle, the car assumes you are mid corner and holds the gear.

It will only up shift if you are 100% in the throttle, or 100% off the throttle after 5 seconds or so.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Yup, what he said. The first time you experience the “rpm hang” or “gear hang” it feels unnatural, but the 3.5tt is made to rev, you won’t hurt it in sport mode. If you pay attention to the shift patterns in sport, the truck is doing all it can programmatically to keep you in the power band or very close to it for street conditions. What I’ve found is that if I get into a situation in sport where I want higher gears for a while, I’ll pop the truck into manual and upshift; shift manually and then go back to sport, rather than mess with drive modes. I like 4a and especially in sport mode.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, what he said. The first time you experience the “rpm hang” or “gear hang” it feels unnatural, but the 3.5tt is made to rev, you won’t hurt it in sport mode. If you pay attention to the shift patterns in sport, the truck is doing all it can programmatically to keep you in the power band or very close to it for street conditions. What I’ve found is that if I get into a situation in sport where I want higher gears for a while, I’ll pop the truck into manual and upshift; shift manually and then go back to sport, rather than mess with drive modes. I like 4a and especially in sport mode.
I like it. So, let me see if I got this right. So, you're in 4A in Sport mode, gear shifter in D. Then you shift to M mode. When you shift back to D, is it still in 4A and Sport Mode ? I like this . . if it's true.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it. So, let me see if I got this right. So, you're in 4A in Sport mode, gear shifter in D. Then you shift to M mode. When you shift back to D, is it still in 4A and Sport Mode ? I like this . . if it's true.
Yes. D and M do not affect the drive 'modes'. you can be in manual in all drive 'modes' that I am aware of.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
like it. So, let me see if I got this right. So, you're in 4A in Sport mode, gear shifter in D. Then you shift to M mode. When you shift back to D, is it still in 4A and Sport Mode ? I like this . . if it's true.

Myth confirmed, @onthebrake !

selecting M while moving will “preserve” the gear selected, you up / downshift from there. This does not change your ‘drive’ mode or the transfer case. Most of the time I’m in Eco mode and hit M with the lever, drop 3-4 gears on the paddle, match rpms down to 3rd or 4th so I can get a drive off the exit ramps to overtake some plodding, latte sipping, text sending hypermiler too busy with reasons to actually pay attention to driving.

But I’ve also done the manual shift while in sport so I could cruise along in 7th or 8th for a bit and when done plodding, just click back into drive and let Lucille have at it shifting gears again.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score

selecting M while moving will “preserve” the gear selected, you up / downshift from there. This does not change your ‘drive’ mode or the transfer case. Most of the time I’m in Eco mode and hit M with the lever, drop 3-4 gears on the paddle, match rpms down to 3rd or 4th so I can get a drive off the exit ramps to overtake some plodding, latte sipping, text sending hypermiler too busy with reasons to actually pay attention to driving.

But I’ve also done the manual shift while in sport so I could cruise along in 7th or 8th for a bit and when done plodding, just click back into drive and let Lucille have at it shifting gears again.
Just curious why you like 4A

Eco mode ? I'm pretty sure my '17 doesn't have such mode. OR DOES IT ????