Sound deadening question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gwpfan, I did read Don's site (Sound Deadener Showdown) and took a lot of tips from it. While I didnt go for the CLD tiles, I did cover as much as practical with Regular Cld and did use his methods for doing a noise barrier with MLV.

I just bought a set of PHD 6.5's for the front doors and will deaden them as close to what Don suggested as I can. With the improvements made on the back panel and floor, Im convinced that going the extra mile on the doors and roof will really pay off.

To your point, a while back Noah stopped by on his way to Texas and showed me how to pull the rear seat back on my Scab. I did get the pleasure of listening to his system too. If I can come close to his truck's sound, I'll be thrilled even more to drive it. The man knows his shit!!. But northern Cal is quite a stretch for me, and there is a real satisfaction to DIYing a high end system too.
i have moved to colorado. maybe an hour close to you now.......

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f65/my-truck-34691/index2.html

check post 31

vince7870

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cost depends on material. there are cheaper brands of sound deadening out there. most are all the same. butyl rubber with aluminium sheet. these can range in thickness and thats why theres varying prices. dynamat is the most popular. i think it runs about $800 in material. other brands are hushmat, roadkill, blackhole, etc. i prefer the focal stuff because it has additional layer of insulating foam. for n even quieter ride. however the cost is twice as much as dynamat. roughly around $1700 in material. but focal as tested their product in their lab, and anything focal is going to be well worth it. when you figure in the labor the entire process will take a day to a day and a half. at the shop it was a $3,000 job including materials. (and wonderful ca sales tax)

After all that effort how much quieter is it? Drone gone?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are still going to have exhaust noise in you cab if thats what you are referring to. but the material reduces or eliminates low frequencies that cause vibration. but it is much quieter inside after its done

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you are still going to have exhaust noise in you cab if thats what you are referring to. but the material reduces or eliminates low frequencies that cause vibration. but it is much quieter inside after its done

Agreed, If you'rd applying sound deadening material in an attempt to reduce drone, then you're wasting your money. Address the drone issue first, and then work on sound deadening.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I now barely hear my exhaust drone. It's still there, but my truck is yet stock when it comes to engine, intake and exhaust. When I looked at the one supposed 'real' claim to kill exhaust drone, basically a setup like a water hammer arrestor and saw the price of the device itself I figured $ overall better spent on the sound deadening. I am happy with the results so far, but I do really think the resonance was really adding to the drone and the CLD tiles is what really helped kill this. This is simply based on hitting my door panel straight on with my finger nails and then adding some CLD tiles and doing the same test. I imagine the CCF and MLV helped as well, but it seems the drone resonance was the most annoying and the CLD tiles addressed this the most.

Otis - You're right there is definitely some satisfaction doing it yourself...until you screw something up. I'll admit I cheated a bit on the roof as I wasn't pulling the cover piece out completely and I did end up creasing my roofing material in a few spots, not really noticeable to most and them I broke the small tabs covering the screws on the 'clothes hanger' which doubles as roof material support.

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
cost depends on material. there are cheaper brands of sound deadening out there. most are all the same. butyl rubber with aluminium sheet. these can range in thickness and thats why theres varying prices. dynamat is the most popular. i think it runs about $800 in material. other brands are hushmat, roadkill, blackhole, etc. i prefer the focal stuff because it has additional layer of insulating foam. for n even quieter ride. however the cost is twice as much as dynamat. roughly around $1700 in material. but focal as tested their product in their lab, and anything focal is going to be well worth it. when you figure in the labor the entire process will take a day to a day and a half. at the shop it was a $3,000 job including materials. (and wonderful ca sales tax)

How much weight does it add?

OP
OP
Otis857

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much weight does it add?

I dont know the exact amount, but not all that much. Im guessing about 2o lbs in CLD (tiles or Dynamat type Butyl) I added Mass loaded vinyl sound barrier too, which is heavier at 1lb per sq.ft. Even so, I added 2 4'x8' rolls which may add another 20-30 lbs at most.

About the difference between hauling around your fat buddy vs your skinny buddy :ROFLJest: