School Me on ICON Front Shocks and Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that still the case though? When I was talking to Dylan the new ones have a different coilover than before. There is a white stamp on the spring that you can check and I believe they show 600.

The spring rate isn't the issue as much as the damping.
The nature of the non bypass design does not allow for a ride zone.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main difference on the Icon to the Fox is the internal bump system .

No.
The main difference is one is a bypass and one isn't.
A bypass gives you different effective valving at multiple points in the shock travel.
The icon set up effectively gives you a bottoming cushion, but no different valving where the shock spends most of it's time. You get around this to an extent with a non bypass shock by running a flutter stack on compression, but when you need to move oil quickly, such as on sharp chop, the flutter valving can't open far enough. If you try to tune the flutter stack to open more, it'll blow through the travel too quickly on big hits.
Bottom line is you can tune them for whoop banging, or tune them for sharp chop, but they can't do both at the same time as well as a bypass can.
I found the adjusters to be practically useless, they had to be run on full soft to keep the truck from getting crossed up badly in braking bumps and washboard, couldn't run them stiffer without serious issues in the chop.
Incidentally the bypass shocks all have a similar "internal bump system" when the piston head passes all the bypass bleeds and transitions to straight piston valving.
The icon bypass rears I found to be excellent, I'm no icon hater or fox fan boy, the icon coilovers just didn't perform as well as I'd expected for my terrain.
Like I said, if you're blasting straight off of a well paved road into big g outs and sand whoops, no problem with the icons. It's the square edged, moderate speed stuff you see from well used gravel roads that exposes their one dimensional valving.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Carl The best thing you can do is give icon a call and talk to them about how you use the truck if you have any reservations about the shocks. Good feedback in here for sure.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carl The best thing you can do is give icon a call and talk to them about how you use the truck if you have any reservations about the shocks. Good feedback in here for sure.

They're not going to tell you a competitors product is better.
They will probably offer a revalve, but it will shift the dampers focus to one terrain type or the other.
What I would do is see if they will swap them for some of their excellent 3.0 rear bypasses. The rear of these trucks require attention before the front.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They're not going to tell you a competitors product is better.
They will probably offer a revalve, but it will shift the dampers focus to one terrain type or the other.
What I would do is see if they will swap them for some of their excellent 3.0 rear bypasses. The rear of these trucks require attention before the front.

I wasn't implying that they would say someone else is better but that they would give and accurate description of what to expect from their product based on how the truck is used. I spent most of Snoball 3 years ago hanging with Dylan (icon founder) and I really liked the way they build and valve the shocks. Now things have improved since then and these types of shocks are not for everyone's type of driving that is why I suggested he give them a call instead of relying only on us.

Now before I get blasted I have to say I have spent the last 25 years racing rally cars and trucks. I am by no means a suspension expert but I like what I hear from Icon. If it was me I would sell them and get rear springs and a bump stop kit. But they were a most free so I say mount them up and have fun.

lots of good info here for all