GEN 1 SCabs with Sony - Replacing Sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone found a powered 8" sub that fits in the factory spot? I have the Tuffy box on the other side so limited space. Planning on new speakers/amp/PAC but not sure if its worth replacing the whole setup or just finding a better sub for the Sony box and stuffing it

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I stuffed factory box and sub years ago and sounds bit better. Unless you get a clean signal and better power behind it your limited. I tweaked EQ and bass setting on my phone Bluetoooth music and sounds fairly decent now.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are better off replacing it. but the downfall is under the rear seat in an scab is very small due to the way the seat bottom pivots so you wont find anything that will fit under there if you plan on lifting your seat up. even the boxes i build for them dont allow you to fold the seat up. the space is necessary for any aftermarket sub

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are better off replacing it. but the downfall is under the rear seat in an scab is very small due to the way the seat bottom pivots so you wont find anything that will fit under there if you plan on lifting your seat up. even the boxes i build for them dont allow you to fold the seat up. The space is necessary for any aftermarket sub
Once Im done installing the front bumper and replacing bushings I want to go after the sound system and I need to give you a call. Some better mid/low bass is what Im after and Ill let the JL C5s handle the high stuff. Would be nice to have a knob to control the output too. Behind the seat is not much better? Would have to be pretty thin Id imagine

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once Im done installing the front bumper and replacing bushings I want to go after the sound system and I need to give you a call. Some better mid/low bass is what Im after and Ill let the JL C5s handle the high stuff. Would be nice to have a knob to control the output too. Behind the seat is not much better? Would have to be pretty thin Id imagine
behind the seat in a scab is non existent. trying to put equipment there will cause heat issues. so prolonged play will cause thermal shutdown eventually. being in the az heat might bring it on sooner. however, there are solutions but you would have to be willing to give up the 2/3 side seat folding up

TexZen

Reaction score
I stuffed factory box and sub years ago and sounds bit better. Unless you get a clean signal and better power behind it your limited. I tweaked EQ and bass setting on my phone Bluetoooth music and sounds fairly decent now.
This is what I did in my 2014 F150 FX4. Not a HUGE difference, but definitely helped the sony 8" sub be less "flabby".

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it looks like Im stuck with the sony box but a better sub in it. How much space is there for a larger magnet?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
none. you have no more depth that whats in there now. and the flimsy plastic box will flex if you try to put a better speaker in there. its not rigid enough to withstand the air pressure of an aftermarket sub

jgwoody

Reaction score
I tried the whole stuffing the box with polyfill, didn't make much difference. Like you, I have a storage box under other seats, so space was limited to install a new sub/amp. Ended up removing the factory sony box/sub, selling it, and replacing with a 150w amp powered kicker hideaway 8" sub system. Fits perfectly where factory sub/box was. Quite a bit louder than factory, but still not what I'm used to with other trucks where is had a mono amp and 12" sub lol

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker...d8C9APxHj1DyMsHcx4xoC2OQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

EDIT: Just found out they have a 10" version for only 50 bucks more. Not a bad deal.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-U2GOA...G7XXGBTz-bkFLenz5sEHyB3RuT3bDTOhoCIgUQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jgwoody So the Kicker setup was definitely a worthwhile upgrade and was simple to bolt down? Does it hit pretty good? Im not looking for 12" performance like I was in my teens.

I did some measuring under the 1/3 seat and I could fit a 14.25" x 11" x 5.25" back to 7.5" front sloped box. I might try and make one if I cant find one close to that