S.O.S. - computer problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunnyDayz143

Reaction score
2023 Raptor experiencing serious computer problems. Center console screen (the big one) keeps freezing and bogging, sometimes will freeze on startup Raptor screen, sometimes sits black, now freezing in camera mode while backing the vehicle up - super dangerous. Usually will fully reboot itself after 1-2 minutes, but sometimes I have to restart the vehicle. Sometimes it happens a bunch, sometimes not for a few or several days. Yes my software is updated.

I have started taking videos of these incidents including one full freeze during backing up of the vehicle. My Ford service shop is declining any repairs, despite watching my videos. They say Ford cannot do anything unless they can reproduce the problem at the shop.

Given my videos, I feel like that should be sufficient to warrant replacement of computer components. They want me to drop off the vehicle for a couple days so they can try to reproduce multiple times. I’m betting that it wont happen while there.

This feels obnoxious. What should I do?

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2023 Raptor experiencing serious computer problems. Center console screen (the big one) keeps freezing and bogging, sometimes will freeze on startup Raptor screen, sometimes sits black, now freezing in camera mode while backing the vehicle up - super dangerous. Usually will fully reboot itself after 1-2 minutes, but sometimes I have to restart the vehicle. Sometimes it happens a bunch, sometimes not for a few or several days. Yes my software is updated.

I have started taking videos of these incidents including one full freeze during backing up of the vehicle. My Ford service shop is declining any repairs, despite watching my videos. They say Ford cannot do anything unless they can reproduce the problem at the shop.

Given my videos, I feel like that should be sufficient to warrant replacement of computer components. They want me to drop off the vehicle for a couple days so they can try to reproduce multiple times. I’m betting that it wont happen while there.

This feels obnoxious. What should I do?
You pretty much need to leave them the truck to be able to replicate symptoms for warrantable coverage, their hands are tied otherwise.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealers can’t just replace “computer components”, or anything else for that matter just because the customer reports an issue. The concern needs to actually be duplicated and properly diagnosed to determine root cause.

Before going to the dealer, the first thing you should do is perform a Master Reset and re-evaluate without any devices paired, meaning both USB and Bluetooth. If the concern no longer occurs, that’s an indication that’s it’s being caused by your device or an incompatible app on your device.

OP
OP
S

SunnyDayz143

Reaction score
Dealers can’t just replace “computer components”, or anything else for that matter just because the customer reports an issue. The concern needs to actually be duplicated and properly diagnosed to determine root cause.

Before going to the dealer, the first thing you should do is perform a Master Reset and re-evaluate without any devices paired, meaning both USB and Bluetooth. If the concern no longer occurs, that’s an indication that’s it’s being caused by your device or an incompatible app on your device.
Thank you. They did a master reset last time I was there. Problems came back by a couple days later. I do have my phone connected via CarPlay…

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
is it a new-ish / OEM cable, or a cheap amazon cable? it can make a difference.

OP
OP
S

SunnyDayz143

Reaction score
Exactly, you need to re-evaluate without any devices connected. Devices and apps are the most common causes of infotainment system issues.
This $110k vehicle is designed to be connected to a phone. It seems kind of ghetto that connecting a phone to make phone calls and use Google Maps makes me SOL if hypothetically the problems stop when phone is disconnected.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This $110k vehicle is designed to be connected to a phone. It seems kind of ghetto that connecting a phone to make phone calls and use Google Maps makes me SOL if hypothetically the problems stop when phone is disconnected.
He's trying to help you troubleshoot if the Ford system is the problem, or if it can be isolated to the iPhone. The majority of these are resolved with iPhone changes/updates rather than truck programming.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Troubleshooting 101; rule out all or as many variables as possible. Any connected peripheral is a variable, whether we choose to admit it or not. By removing the attached phone you remove 2 possible variables - the cable and the phone. The sync programming will ( probably ) NOP anything for CarPlay.

I’d retest without CarPlay -- no phone or cable plugged in, but bluetooth ok. If the problem persists, FORGET the bluetooth phones and re-pair them. If that doesn’t work, put the phone in airplane mode and retest. If the problem persists, you’ve ruled out any remote connection.

I’ve never really warmed up to CarPlay but, I do remember one of the idiosyncrasies was having the CarPlay device connected at start up resulted in not connecting.