Roush and Whipple Supercharged Raptors, Keep Cool this summer with...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JimIII@JDM

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the HD HE has changed since I purchased mine, I'll give Whipple a shoot and get that clarified.
I do agree about the fan location, I've been looking at that for a long time now.
I almost want to put four smaller ones in the back of the HE and cover the whole surface.

Also $100 is $100, could fill up the tank one and a half times. LOL

The IAT reading is coming from the PCM so it's the manifold sensor. If I do a hard pull that IAT reading will jump right up.

The factory PCM IAT reading is taken at the mass air flow sensor, before the supercharger. Now the Whipple kit does have a IAT sensor added to the manifold that you pin in to the PCM I believe pin#59... Your temps seem to be in line with what I would expect from an IAT1 reading at the MAF, not in the manifold.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, but then it wouldn't climb up when I get on it, it would go down if anything.
The ambient temp PID is the IAT1 sensor (MAF) and the IAT PID is the IAT2 sensor, just went to Ian Hawkins forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimIII@JDM

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, but then it wouldn't climb up when I get on it, it would go down if anything.
The ambient temp PID is the IAT1 sensor and the IAT PID is the IAT2 sensor, just went to Ian Hawkins forum.

Not necessarily the IAT reading will climb from heat in the engine bay. I don't know the software your using so I just wasn't sure. However you are seeing much cooler IAT2 temperatures than I would expect even with the HD HE and fans. If that is what it's actually seeing then that is impressive!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well your the expert, I can only go by what I'm being told.
While the CAI is not the best design, when the hood is closed it's not getting much hot air from the engine bay.
And like I said earlier, before I had the tuner lower the radiator fans to 180 the IAT was 10 to 15 degrees hotter.
The OEM setting for the fans to jump on 100% is 214 and shut off at 204 coupled with the 195 thermostat it was a joke.

If I purchase the full SCT program for PC, and you help me get the data logging info setup. I would be interested in doing this the right way.

Last edited:

jlatigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll need this along with a set of plugs, a tune and a smaller pulley for the Roush and maybe then i'll be happy?

OP
OP
JimIII@JDM

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i'll need this along with a set of plugs, a tune and a smaller pulley for the Roush and maybe then i'll be happy?

You would be more than happy with all of that, we see a vast improvement over stock with just our tune and plugs. Add a little more boost, the heat exchanger to boot and your going to have a monster on your hands. Consider some HD leaf springs like the Deavers, wheel hop is going to be pretty bad with all the extra power and torque.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Well your the expert, I can only go by what I'm being told.
While the CAI is not the best design, when the hood is closed it's not getting much hot air from the engine bay.
And like I said earlier, before I had the tuner lower the radiator fans to 180 the IAT was 10 to 15 degrees hotter.
The OEM setting for the fans to jump on 100% is 214 and shut off at 204 coupled with the 195 thermostat it was a joke.

If I purchase the full SCT program for PC, and you help me get the data logging info setup. I would be interested in doing this the right way.

Well even the SCT software isn't the best, I'm not sure if it would recognize the IAT2 pid on a Raptor because it's normally not there. When the radiator fan kicks on its not going to lower IAT2 temps at all, it would however lower IAT temps read at the MAF in the engine bay. That's why you notice a 10-15 degree reduction.

Do your Heat Exchanger fans cycle or run constant?

JimIII

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To your question, HE fans are always on when I turn them on.
But again, like we have discussed before without the radiator fans being on
the air just bounces of the condenser/radiator and cycles back in front of the HE when sitting still.

I'm curious why you keep saying it's pulling hot air from the engine bay.
It's CAI and I've added better foam along the edge of the box so when the hood is closed
it only gets air from what comes through the small spaces around the head light area and the big opening in front of the wheel well.
And when driving, hot air from the engine bay can't physical get there.

Having said that, I do understand what your saying and you maybe right.
I'm going to add that to my email to Whipple about the PCM reading the manifold temp sensor and will the SCT Supercharged Tune file format allow a scanner to access the PID.
If I use my Actron OBD11 Scanner it only show IAT, no mention if it's 1 or 2 and doesn't display ambient temp either.
If I can find a NA Raptor that will let me plug in I could at least see if it's the same.

Last edited:

jlatigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be more than happy with all of that, we see a vast improvement over stock with just our tune and plugs. Add a little more boost, the heat exchanger to boot and your going to have a monster on your hands. Consider some HD leaf springs like the Deavers, wheel hop is going to be pretty bad with all the extra power and torque.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Wheel hop isnt in issue with my set up, I'm running a Rogue Racing Cantilever rear suspension with sprung under plus 8 Deavers. Now I'm just waiting on TMX to give me the green light to get this project started. I drove the Shelby Raptor at a TRR event and the best part of that truck was the throttle response and the way she moved. I think i can better with your product's help! lol

OP
OP
JimIII@JDM

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Wheel hop isnt in issue with my set up, I'm running a Rogue Racing Cantilever rear suspension with sprung under plus 8 Deavers. Now I'm just waiting on TMX to give me the green light to get this project started. I drove the Shelby Raptor at a TRR event and the best part of that truck was the throttle response and the way she moved. I think i can better with your product's help! lol

Nice well sounds like your ready to go then! Let me know when your ready!

JimIII

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

To your question, HE fans are always on when I turn them on.
But again, like we have discussed before without the radiator fans being on
the air just bounces of the condenser/radiator and cycles back in front of the HE when sitting still.

I'm curious why you keep saying it's pulling hot air from the engine bay.
It's CAI and I've added better foam along the edge of the box so when the hood is closed
it only gets air from what comes through the small spaces around the head light area and the big opening in front of the wheel well.
And when driving, hot air from the engine bay can't physical get there.

Having said that, I do understand what your saying and you maybe right.
I'm going to add that to my email to Whipple about the PCM reading the manifold temp sensor and will the SCT Supercharged Tune file format allow a scanner to access the PID.
If I use my Actron OBD11 Scanner it only show IAT, no mention if it's 1 or 2 and doesn't display ambient temp either.
If I can find a NA Raptor that will let me plug in I could at least see if it's the same.

The filter sits inside a sheetmetal box it's going to see some heat from the engine bay when your driving the truck hard or it's a hot day out. Heat is mostly built up at idle or sititing in traffic at a slow crawl. There is no way around that. We did a bunch of testing on air box's vs. open air filters on our Lightning trucks many years back and on that application actually found having an air box was restrictive to flow and kept air intake temperatures consistently hotter while driving the vehicle at any cruising speed above 5-10 mph. Once above 10mph the air intake temp actually got lower with out the air box surrounding the filter because of air flow coming through the engine bay. At idle temperatures were noticeably warmer. With the air box around the filter the air was mostly stagnant and the filter was only sucking in air that had been heated up, and stuck in the box. Now this isn't a Raptor application so I can't say it's the case with a Whipple or Roush charged vehicle. Some applications have nice plumbing or openings from the outside feeding the filter with fresh air. The Raptor has the corner or the engine bay where some air is getting through into the fenderwell. So it's not that it is a problem or anything. Just kind of saying having an airbox it less critical then most think.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do have some foam in that space between the wheel well and the radiator support and some in front of the radiator support.
I also added support to the wheel well to keep it away from bending on to the tire.
What I didn't think of was, insulting the metal heat shield protecting the filter.
I'm going to have to get some HVAC self adhering padding on my next job site, plenty of that stuff lying around.
Like you said it's not a biggie but I'm just **** about stuff like that. LOL

Thanks, Jim111

Last edited: