Retrofitted Projectors in Stock Headlamps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I purchased the FX-R Stage 3 kit from The Retrofit Resource & spent the weekend installing. Got it done....finally
Overall, I love the light output on the 50w Morimotos, but the "kit" was a nightmare.
The bulbs have 4 supports, but the projectors only had slots for 2. After waiting for a response from TRS, I realized it was Saturday & that wasn't going to happen. I nervously used a dremel & created slots for the bulbs to fit. I installed the angel eyes on the shrouds & then tested them.....Should've done this first! One of the halos did not work at all, the other was 2/3 lit. Removed them & repainted the shrouds. I decided to install the shrouds without the halo lighting......They didn't fit! After more contemplation, I decided to cut the shrouds to fit & had to cut close to 1/2" off of the bottom to clear the flange of the projector. I repainted them again!
Other than that....It was a breeze!
Think twice before buying a kit from The Retrofit Source! I am not sure if I got a bad load or this is normal :poop:, but when your truck is sitting with the headlights yanked out, you don't have time to wait for an email response to say "Sorry you're having problems"

Attachments

• IMG_2584.JPG
    IMG_2584.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2585.JPG
    IMG_2585.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
DynoDynge

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well maybe you saved a couple of dollars over one of the good kits with exellent support. You have to ask the question --- was it worth it?

OP
OP
DynoDynge

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well maybe you saved a couple of dollars over one of the good kits with exellent support. You have to ask the question --- was it worth it?
About $800 saved, but I like to do projects myself.
Anytime you use a company for the first time is a gamble, because they all SAY they have excellent support.

OP
OP
DynoDynge

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Retrofit Source Sucks!

STILL fighting with the Retrofit Source to send me the correct parts on my "kit". Finally filed a PayPal dispute to help their motivation along.
BUY FROM THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
How difficult is the breaking open/cutting a hole/resealing process on the F-150 lights? Was this kit templated for the F-150 or is it totally generic?

Didn't realize they were going for so cheap, tempted to do a very simple kit (FX-R Stage 3, no halos) when I get time.