RECON third brake light????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So spyder is the way to go then huh? I was happy with their LED tails (though i only had them about 6 months).

bprsnt

Reaction score
My Ford dealer talked me into installing blacked out lighting on my new Raptor.
I figured they would install a quality product and I’ve been very busy so I agreed.
I should have done my homework and asked (what brand are you installing?) But noooooooo!
I was lazy and got stuck with Recon garbage.
I was pulled over due to no rear running lights. Luckily I had not received my new license plates.
I told the officer I just picked up the truck and would bring it back right away to get it checked out.
To avoid being without a truck I headed home to check it out and found the rear running light fuse blown. I removed the tail lights, disconnected all the wiring and still had a dead short.
(Just my observation…… Recon lights are cheaply made ****-poor toy like quality)
I figured it must be in the wiring harness maybe unrelated to the new tail lights so I reluctantly brought it in for service.
Of course they never had an issue with any other install of Recon and installed hundreds…….
Two days later I picked up the truck and was told that one of the taillight signal resistors overheated melting the wiring harness. The kicker is they did not replaced anything just repaired the wiring and said keep an eye on this issue if it occurs again. WTF

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ask for your stock lights back! The third brake light without the running lights looks like a regular F-150 from the rear. Also, as you've seen, It's the law for our wide trucks to have those running lights.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Last edited:

twlhunter65

Reaction score
I have had Recon 3rd brake light for three years with no issues, I did have it installed for me and the guy said the wireing directions were wrong,but he figured it out. I also have Recon red smoked taillights, one had a moisture geting in issue,they sent me a new one and advised me to silicon around the reverse bulb socket. No problems there for two years now. I think telling you to use silicon is an admited flaw though.

bprsnt

Reaction score
Ask for your stock lights back! The third break light without the running lights looks like a regular F-150 from the rear. Also, add you've seen. It's the law for our wide trucks to have those running lights.

Yukon Joe
GREAT LAKES RAPTOR EXCURSIONS

Thanks, I did get my old lights back. I will be reinstalling them this weekend.

I am going to do my research this time :mad:

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Please just tint the stock 3rd brake light. Looks 100 times better tinted. When I did mine I used some small rubber circle stickers on the leds and they are bright as factory and the rest of its tinted. It looks so sexy lol

7y4udyva.jpg
Still very bright

I added blue lights to the cargo lamps
nuryma5e.jpg

vuzybazy.jpg

I used 3 coats of night shades and 3 coats of clear and a lot of polishing and wax. Looks like my black truck finish

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

I threw my factory one away. I was gonna tint it but remembered I don't have it. Usually I would have kept stuff but I thought its just a brake light.

Its a $112 brake light......

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

My Ford dealer talked me into installing blacked out lighting on my new Raptor.
I figured they would install a quality product and I’ve been very busy so I agreed.
I should have done my homework and asked (what brand are you installing?) But noooooooo!
I was lazy and got stuck with Recon garbage.
I was pulled over due to no rear running lights. Luckily I had not received my new license plates.
I told the officer I just picked up the truck and would bring it back right away to get it checked out.
To avoid being without a truck I headed home to check it out and found the rear running light fuse blown. I removed the tail lights, disconnected all the wiring and still had a dead short.
(Just my observation…… Recon lights are cheaply made ****-poor toy like quality)
I figured it must be in the wiring harness maybe unrelated to the new tail lights so I reluctantly brought it in for service.
Of course they never had an issue with any other install of Recon and installed hundreds…….
Two days later I picked up the truck and was told that one of the taillight signal resistors overheated melting the wiring harness. The kicker is they did not replaced anything just repaired the wiring and said keep an eye on this issue if it occurs again. WTF

Get the anzo brand taillights! I have their headlights. They have great projectors and build quality! Look
3azedusu.jpg
a4y8ugam.jpg

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Please just tint the stock 3rd brake light. Looks 100 times better tinted.

The 3rd brake light looks great tinted.

The headlights are badass!

I learned my lesson to read the Raptor forum before doing any mods again.

Haha same with me that's why I got top perch done :D:D:D
rune9e2a.jpg