Raptor tire chains recommendations please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put on a set of Goodyear duratracs without studs. I didn’t even use 4wd with our first light snow fall in the NE. A++++ for these tires, way better than any BFgoodrich

^^^This^^^

Can't speak for how the Duratrac's work on a Raptor but I did have both them and KO2's on my Super Duty in size 325/60-20's. Frigging duratrac's were amazing and wore like iron. About the only thing I found better about the KO2's was they were quieter. When it came to snow, ice, or mud the KO2's weren't even in the same league.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP I see your in CA so if you’re talking about going to the typical snow destinations (Tahoe/Mammoth/Yosemite) and you’re concerned about chain control restrictions I’ve never been required to place chains on an AWD or 4WD vehicle. In the over 10+ years I’ve been doing the snow runs and chain control restrictions were active, Caltrans will look at your tires to verify enough tread and verbally confirm with you have AWD or 4WD before flagging you through. If conditions are really bad (R2 chain control restrictions), they will simply close the freeway and not allow any vehicles through regardless of whether you have 4wd or chains.

Mikerider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And some MaxTrax it appears. :)

Yep I have 4, plus a 12k winch, and a ton of rigging. I spend a lot of time in the woods and it pays to have the right tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

^^^This^^^

Can't speak for how the Duratrac's work on a Raptor but I did have both them and KO2's on my Super Duty in size 325/60-20's. Frigging duratrac's were amazing and wore like iron. About the only thing I found better about the KO2's was they were quieter. When it came to snow, ice, or mud the KO2's weren't even in the same league.

Honestly running both the BFGs do a bit better in deep snow, the duratracs evacuate a bit better which can help and hurt depending on conditions. Both stellar tires in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP I see your in CA so if you’re talking about going to the typical snow destinations (Tahoe/Mammoth/Yosemite) and you’re concerned about chain control restrictions I’ve never been required to place chains on an AWD or 4WD vehicle. In the over 10+ years I’ve been doing the snow runs and chain control restrictions were active, Caltrans will look at your tires to verify enough tread and verbally confirm with you have AWD or 4WD before flagging you through. If conditions are really bad (R2 chain control restrictions), they will simply close the freeway and not allow any vehicles through regardless of whether you have 4wd or chains.

There are conditions in the Sierra's that the chp will check to see if you are carrying chains and won't allow you to pass if your not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are conditions in the Sierra's that the chp will check to see if you are carrying chains and won't allow you to pass if your not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iny 37 years in california, i have never been required to have chains on any awd or 4wd vehicle. as stated they will close the roads. back in my subaru days, i got waved through all the time. many times i would have to wait since roads were closed, even though i had the ability to drive through it. now if you are heading on a non maintained road, you may want to consider something. but biggest thing would be not going by yourself and a tow strap and shackles. chains dont always help and you may need someone to pull you out. a few years ago we were up by georgetown in the sierras after heavy snow. the road was basically 2 pillars of ice that we were driving on about 3 ft off the ground. if you came off those pillars of ice, you immediately sunk to the frame and your tires became useless. no chain would have helped. we spent most of the day yanking trucks out.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just put on a set of Goodyear duratracs without studs. I didn’t even use 4wd with our first light snow fall in the NE. A++++ for these tires, way better than any BFgoodrich

I have had similar good experience with the DurTracs. We had record snowfall last winter, and I didn't have any trouble at all. When my current rubber needs replacement I won't bother to shop for a different tire solution.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had similar good experience with the DurTracs. We had record snowfall last winter, and I didn't have any trouble at all. When my current rubber needs replacement I won't bother to shop for a different tire solution.

Got mine on eBay from discount tire direct for 1184. They also had a promotion with an extra 100 off and a $50.00 rebate This fall

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 sets of duratracs on my previous vehicles, rate them highly. They are a bit noisy though. This will be my first winter with the KO2s but so far, I am very impressed. Was up in Maine driving through snow and ice a few weeks ago and they did very well.

I'd like to know how many of these expert cowboys that are opining on snow tires actually live in the north / north east. The last thing we need is for people in Arizona or Southern California to profess on which snow tires are best.

I live in New England and we have real winters up here, and I also do a lot of snow wheeling every year. You'll know a thing or two about snow tires if you have driven through northern Maine in the dead of winter. Chains are perfectly ok to run as long as you know how to install and tighten them appropriately. The Raptor with the stock wheel/tire setup has plenty of clearance front and back, especially in the back. The guys who said "manual says no chains, it will rip your fenders off" make me laugh.

Last edited:

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had 3 sets of duratracs on my previous vehicles, rate them highly. They are a bit noisy though. This will be my first winter with the KO2s but so far, I am very impressed. Was up in Maine driving through snow and ice a few weeks ago and they did very well.

I'd like to know how many of these expert cowboys that are opining on snow tires actually live in the north / north east. The last thing we need is for people in Arizona or Southern California to profess on which snow tires are best.

I live in New England and we have real winters up here, and I also do a lot of snow wheeling every year. You'll know a thing or two about snow tires if you have driven through northern Maine in the dead of winter. Chains are perfectly ok to run as long as you know how to install and tighten them appropriately. The Raptor with the stock wheel/tire setup has plenty of clearance front and back, especially in the back. The guys who said "manual says no chains, it will rip your fenders off" make me laugh.

lol how many 20% grades do you have there in NE?
the manual states not to use chains...
"You can't use chains with stock wheels because there's not enough clearance between the tire and upper control arm "
0 backspacing will give you the clearance