Random paint flaking/chipping on undercarriage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're correct, dissimilar metals are the worse, on connectors in Substations the aluminum hS to be on top and the copper on the bottom with proper inhibitor used which we call mother-in-law?

Don't ask me why the mother-in-law name because I don't have a clue.

One guy stated the older black inhibitor was actually called mother-in-law but the new improved inhibitor is white.

Please don't flame me for this statement above as there's no racial intent.

Didn’t expect to hear Substation and panel lug talk. I’m a Troubleman/Lineman and was taught A over C always. I haven’t heard the mother in law comment but that no OX shit gets everywhere.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol this is kinda funny to me b/c I sell metal to Ford for the F150

was in Dearborn area this week as a matter of fact

the block, the tranny case, the running boards- good chance came directly from my company, the body panels we provide a shredded AL product to Novelis who then makes the various alloy sheet/coil to Ford to then stamp into the body panels

yeah it’s aluminum

no it won’t corrode

you’ll be long gone dead in ground before it would (unless you dropped it in the bottom of the Atlantic I suppose, & even then.....)

If you’re intent on keeping for very long time & lots of use....like 20k+ miles a year for 8-12 years etc & also live in an area that is heavy on the road salt I would suggest protecting the rear wheel wells though w/ Linex or something, but other than that it’s all good

Most common alloys used in the body sheet -

+ sometimes a composite inner panel

the running boards are A383 & the tranny/block are A380.1, heads are A319
it’s all good- cuz now you know, & knowing is 1/2 the battle ;-)