Phoenix Android Radio 4th Gen PX6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have it.

minor changes. It’s a better marginally. It’s a better screen with a higher 71hz refresh rate. Same resolution. Same software. They added venting to the motherboard... they one real improvement... they finally worked out the MCU “audio” box. The sound quality and distortion issues are resolved at 90 percent but for a tiny bit of hiss at volume.

going to phoenix fri they are local to me and taking out the px6 8 and upgrading to the 9. they said it does have some hardware upgrades along with software so should be even better. will post after i mess around with it.

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pr...0-f-550-2015-2019?_pos=2&_sid=8828b45bb&_ss=r

claustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Venting to the motherboard seems like a good update. I’ve had issues in the past that I suspect were due to overheating.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting....

his software update starts with an executable that roots the device.

i “installed” up to the point that I have to send Sergey the MCU.bin

Sergey's software is essentially an add-on to the PX6 software. It fixes some issues, but not all, and nothing that Sergey's added doesn't work. There are some things he can't fix as he doesn't have access to the source code. Mostly what you get is improved graphics options, themes, boot logos, the like. This may seem minor, but it changes it from a system that looks like it was randomly dropped into your truck to something that looks like it was designed for your truck.

Sergey will also spend time with you to provide configuration suggestions to resolve issues with the PX6, unrelated to his software, even before you've bought his software. He tracks what others with F150s and Raptors have done to resolve issues, and will put you in a group of others as another place to help with issues.

I've never regreted Sergey's software. I've regretted putting in the PX6 at times, but not Sergey's add on.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys were right.

The sergey modified firmware is visually premium. It looks like it fits inside a modern car or truck now as opposed to the way it looked stock.

Highly recommended and he is a really nice guy.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I think this unit absolutely needs at this point is some sort of screen protector. The glare is terrible and if you wear polarized sunglasses it completely blows out the screen.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have it.

minor changes. It’s a better marginally. It’s a better screen with a higher 71hz refresh rate. Same resolution. Same software. They added venting to the motherboard... they one real improvement... they finally worked out the MCU “audio” box. The sound quality and distortion issues are resolved at 90 percent but for a tiny bit of hiss at volume.

Not nearly enough improvement for me to upgrade, particularly since upgrade comes with risk of introducing new issues.

The other reason I don't want to upgrade is that this is the 2nd new model that's come out in less than a year. If that trend holds, any new model will be the old model in 6 months. Not realistic to always have the latest and greatest version.

I think I'll be keeping mine till the apps I want to use are no longer supported on the android version I have 8.1. That already seems to be happening with some apps, unfortunately. And it's a shame that Phoenix isn't putting out units that are on the most current android version. I assume that helps keep costs down. Also a bummer that you can't upgrade the android version, I can somewhat understand since that could be an issue with their customizations, but since they have an android version 9 unit, why can't those of use on version 8.1 update? Not saying I would, because of potential issues...just asking.

When it comes time to update, not sure what I'll do. Will definitely see if there are other android tablets on the market that measure up. Will also consider reverting back to OEM, and maybe adding a separate tablet. By then, we may also see what the new F-150 screens look like.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@melvimbe What kind of crazy apps are you using that aren't continuing to work with Android 8.1? I figured I'll have at least 3 years before I even remotely think about upgrading the unit and at that time.. hell maybe even to a new Raptor.

Personally I don't use probably 75% the functionality that this thing offers. Mostly big ole maps and a music player. I mean... playing videos is cool but I'm not using it while I'm driving.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for them to ship my px6 fast boot unit. Still running the px3 unit but it sounds like a nice upgrade. Going to have to get the firmware from serg it sounds like [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll tell you...

sergey firmware with Car web guru is a great combination.