Overland setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red GSXR

Reaction score
Hello,

I am very interested in setting up my raptor for some over landing. I am specifically looking for a bed rack, cargo organizers and a tent. I would like to also carry my bikes, skis, and canoes.

Is there anybody here with this kind of setup? If so, can you provide some details on pros / cons of your setup?

Thanks

Smokey

Reaction score
i've got the short Wilco rack and a ROAM Vagabond RTT. I mounted ARB TRED PRO's on the right side and axe / shovel on the left. I'm running Built Right panels in the bed with just a few things mounted at the moment. I'll be mounting my air compressor and some other things to the BR system after I fab up bed side braces.

if you don't have them already, pickup some Deaver or icon rear springs. that's the next thing on my list out of pure necessity. EE3C50A2-7B9D-4F14-BF77-CCACE8108959.jpegFADCCD29-0CFE-4367-AF6E-9403346DDB60.jpeg

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a bed-rack option for a little bit (KB Voodoo Mx Modular) and it was a great setup but I ultimately decided to end up with a cap. I can still put my tent on top of it and it gives me MUCH more room in the bed for whatever else I want to carry (including my dog) while still protecting everything from the weather. You're definitely going to want to upgrade your rear springs though as you'll quickly go over payload when it's all ready to go.

Pat

Reaction score
I went with the Yakima Overhaul HD https://www.yakima.com/overhaul-hd

Its not as heavy duty as the All Pro rack I had on my Tacoma, but its very versatile and a little modular. You can raise it up to load long items that need to stick out over the cab (like a kayak), buy side rails to mount maxtrax or rotopax, buy longer top rails if you need more space to mount multiple things on top (tent with a kayak next to it or whatever you can think of), and it can be removed vary easily.
What I don’t like is that its two separate pieces, unlike the All-Pro, which was very robust, with the mounting surface running nearly the entire length of the bad rails.
The price is considerably less expensive than a Wilco, which was really my first choice, but between the price tag and the shipping, I went with something a little more practical for me.

For bed storage I have a Decked system. So far I like it, but you have to be prepared to lose quite a bit of bed space. I haven’t used it on a camping trip yet, so I may or may not like it after I go out for a weekend.

Just my 2 cents worth.

CHMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 138556
View attachment 138560
I have a front runner slim line rack. They make additional mounts and attachments for everything.
Bike mounts, tent mount, ski mounts, canoe mounts etc. I have my rotopax, maxtrax, ax and shovel mounted. As well as the BuiltRight racks inside the bed
View attachment 138557 View attachment 138558

Wow! That's a beautiful setup. What bed mat are you using? I've been in the market for one but it seems many don't line up with the grooves in the bed / spray on loner.

Evan B

Reaction score
I too went with the pace Edwards electric bed cover with the explorer rails. The front runner slim line rack mounted in that. It’s a slick setup.

swedensky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! That's a beautiful setup. What bed mat are you using? I've been in the market for one but it seems many don't line up with the grooves in the bed / spray on loner.

Thanks! This is a Bedrug and first like a glove! It did require some customization to work with the Retrax bed cover and the BuiltRight racks though

OP
OP
R

Red GSXR

Reaction score
View attachment 138556
View attachment 138560
I have a front runner slim line rack. They make additional mounts and attachments for everything.
Bike mounts, tent mount, ski mounts, canoe mounts etc. I have my rotopax, maxtrax, ax and shovel mounted. As well as the BuiltRight racks inside the bed
View attachment 138557 View attachment 138558

Did you consider moving the ladder towards the back? My idea is to not take 2 car worth of spots just in case.

How does having the tent folded in that height effect your aerodynamics? mpg?

How easy is it to store things under the tent? A bit worried about ease of access. I am thinking about having some H20 on board? I am not interested in rotopax stuff as they seem to be mounted outside and I am afraid it will get hot in no time.

Along the lines of storage, do you have an on-board fridge? solar set up to power? inverter? I am very interested in having an inverter for powering up my drone, camera gear, laptop, air compressor, and so on.

How do you protect the carpet against snow? rain? I am leaning towards these retractable aluminum covers. retrax pro xr being the first choice.

If you need to haul things, how quickly can you take the rack / everything off?

How much weight all that stuff add to your payload? Does it require a custom suspension geometry?

Have you considered a winch?

What kind of set up do you have for cooking?

Oh man, so many questions. I think I am going to put all these questions to the main thread. Thanks in advance.