Offroad "grab n go" box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jamesdh

jamesdh

Reaction score
What's the law concerning shooting in Big Bend? I think National parks are forbidden but Big Bend is a State park.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
What's the law concerning shooting in Big Bend? I think National parks are forbidden but Big Bend is a State park.

Big Bend IS a national park. Big Bend Ranch is a state park. Not sure about rules on shooting, though.

Other than the box I'll have:
4 each 5 gallon gas cans (Scepter Military Fuel Cans)
2 each 5 gallon water cans (Scepter Water Cans)
60" Hi Lift extreme with acessories
Air compressor
10" Orion dobsonian telescope. What's the point of going out where there is no light if you don't catch a few hours of star gazin?
Folding chairs
Tent and camping equipment (yes air mattress included)

Any other suggestions, mostly for the box as I want to keep it in the truck all the time we're on the trails versus the camping equipment which will be at the camp site.

Your list for the box sounds pretty complete. A hatchet is the only thing I can think to add.

How do you plan on organizing all of this in the bed? That is a lot of stuff!!

OP
OP
jamesdh

jamesdh

Reaction score
Kaiser,
Thanks for clearing that up. I had confused Brazos Bend State Park and Big Bend National Park because we were in Brazos Bend a few days ago.

In my old truck I carried most of the items listed without any problem. The only real addition would be the gas cans and I can drop that to 2 if needed. I mean Big Bend is not that far from a gas station. There is that one at Panther junction, Terlingua and one down by the RV spot on the Rio Grande.
The one that worries me is the hi-lift. I hate to have it rattling around in the back but I don't have any sort of carrier for it. If the telescope won't fit.. no big deal. The main idea is to drive some of the roads and get photos.
August and September seem to be some of the best months to visit Big Bend. Lot of plants in bloom and active wild life.
Two years ago when we were there in September we saw something that we think was a mountain lion. Tan fur with a tail and thick legs (as opposed to thin legs of a deer), some small creature that looked like a raccoon but was shorter and longer and did not have rings on the tail. We stopped on a road to take some star photos and after a bit this loud screeching noise came from the bushes near us. We both spun around and opened up our lights on it. Turns out it was this little owl about 6 inches tall and about 10 feet from us. The ranger said it was a Pygmy owl. She also told us what the raccoon like creature was but I forgot the name. That year there had been quite a few bear sightings and, if I remember correctly, they had the window trail closed due to bear sightings.

Should be a good trip.
Anxious to get started but need to get my ducks in a row first.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
The one that worries me is the hi-lift. I hate to have it rattling around in the back but I don't have any sort of carrier for it.

Here is one option shown on Hi-Lift's site:
loc-rac_l.jpg

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/loc-rac.html

"Installation is simple. It can be mounted horizontally or vertically, with or without a Jack Protector. Your Hi-Lift Jack is mounted in an easy to reach location and is locked to deter theft. Designed to fit the bedrail of most pickups."

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!!

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is one option shown on Hi-Lift's site:
loc-rac_l.jpg

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/loc-rac.html

"Installation is simple. It can be mounted horizontally or vertically, with or without a Jack Protector. Your Hi-Lift Jack is mounted in an easy to reach location and is locked to deter theft. Designed to fit the bedrail of most pickups."

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!!

How well will this work with a bed cover? Most of our covers clamp just under the bed about in the same place.

I've got my jack throwed up inside the bed extender and it's not an issue driving around town. So I figured I would tie it down against the extender with some bungy cords and use one of those hi lift jack keepers.

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/handle-keeper.html

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Remember that all that stuff weighs something, and passengers are considered cargo when the payload numbers are certified . Dont want to overload the truck :thumbsup: You seem to have a pretty solid list there, but telling people they cant come because they are too fat and thirsty just aint nice :argue:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Other than the box I'll have:
4 each 5 gallon gas cans (Scepter Military Fuel Cans)
2 each 5 gallon water cans (Scepter Water Cans)
60" Hi Lift extreme with acessories
Air compressor
10" Orion dobsonian telescope. What's the point of going out where there is no light if you don't catch a few hours of star gazin?
Folding chairs
Tent and camping equipment (yes air mattress included)

Any other suggestions, mostly for the box as I want to keep it in the truck all the time we're on the trails versus the camping equipment which will be at the camp site.

I know you said it's desolate where you're going; are there no gas stations on your route? I ask because 20 gallons of gas and 10 gallons of water will weigh a good amount and, perhaps more of a concern, is how to secure them so they don't get tossed around or leak. Both gas and water are very important so its good that you're not wanting to take any chances.

Water weighs 8.35 pounds/gallon (83.5 pounds total). Gas weighs about 6.35 pounds/gallon (254 pounds total). Grand total of 337.5 - that's a lot of weight in liquid.

Your list is pretty complete.