Octane Poll

What octane for the Raptor

• Less than 87

• Higher than 93

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got a link? Genuinely interested in see the results of this dyno.

That would toss a wrench into C&D saying they say a 20hp gain going from 87-->93.
Goosetune reported it in the first pages of his g3 tune

raydulce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am a new Costco member, and that brought up a fuel question I wanted to run past the group!

One one side of the street is Kwik Trip with 91 Octane - 0% Ethanol. On the other side of the street is Costco with 93 Octane - 10% ethanol. Costco is typcially about 15 cents cheaper per gallon. What would you run and why?

Is the octane more important? Ethanolc content? 15 cents x 36 gallons isn't enough to make my decision.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I am a new Costco member, and that brought up a fuel question I wanted to run past the group!

One one side of the street is Kwik Trip with 91 Octane - 0% Ethanol. On the other side of the street is Costco with 93 Octane - 10% ethanol. Costco is typcially about 15 cents cheaper per gallon. What would you run and why?

Is the octane more important? Ethanolc content? 15 cents x 36 gallons isn't enough to make my decision.
I wouldn't get gas from either. Only Shell or Chevron for me.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score

With only 15 cents difference I would run 91 octane 0% ethanol. Reason, ethanol draws moisture. If you burn through the fuel quickly not an issue.

raydulce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With only 15 cents difference I would run 91 octane 0% ethanol. Reason, ethanol draws moisture. If you burn through the fuel quickly not an issue.
I'm leaning that direction. The MPG hit from 10% ethanol will cost me more than the 15 cent savings. Plus I personally don't like ethanol due to the moisture issue you stated. So then it comes down to a performance difference between the two....?

Finlay150

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Costco is Top Tier rated.

Kwik Trip is not.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread has a lot of topics in it. Sorry if I derail this.

If we were trying to determine which octane fuel is better to run in regards to its effects on the engine and not wallet, could we simply just show pictures of the throttle body?

One look at a throttle body running only 87 and then another look at a throttle body running 91 and see which is dirtier? Maybe it won’t be a noticeable difference but maybe it is? Could this at least be one data starting point?

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread has a lot of topics in it. Sorry if I derail this.

If we were trying to determine which octane fuel is better to run in regards to its effects on the engine and not wallet, could we simply just show pictures of the throttle body?

One look at a throttle body running only 87 and then another look at a throttle body running 91 and see which is dirtier? Maybe it won’t be a noticeable difference but maybe it is? Could this at least be one data starting point?
I once had a mechanic state to me that I must run high octane gas because my plugs looked amazing for the nearly 100k of miles I put on them. I put 89 octane in pretty religiously so that’s something.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I once had a mechanic state to me that I must run high octane gas because my plugs looked amazing for the nearly 100k of miles I put on them. I put 89 octane in pretty religiously so that’s something.
point taken. So maybe add plugs into the mix or that be the data point? Carbon build up on spark plugs after 30K? I'm planning on changing my plugs so I can be one of the test subjects. 30k/only 91

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
point taken. So maybe add plugs into the mix or that be the data point? Carbon build up on spark plugs after 30K? I'm planning on changing my plugs so I can be one of the test subjects. 30k/only 91
I have always used 44K for the plugs in most of my vehicles.. I was once told that is what a lot of mechanics use when they tell you they are cleaning your fuel injectors. Difference is, they charge you a lot more for it.