New Wheels new Problems...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tnsbruce

Reaction score
Regarding using a Heli-Coil, it depends on how much material you have surrounding the hole and also the thickness of the material the insert will be installed in. If you have enough material to work with the Heli-Coil inserts will be far stronger than the holes without inserts. You can go one step better and use Heli-Coil Screw-Lock self locking inserts. Once torqued they won't back out unless you remove them. Measure the thickness of your material and shoot me a picture. From that I should be able to tell you if a H/C will work. I have been a Heli-Coil Factory rep for 20+ years.

Awesome - thanks for the help. I will try and pull the wheel off tonight and send some pictures. For a 5/16" bolt going into an aluminum rim how much material is needed?

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Awesome - thanks for the help. I will try and pull the wheel off tonight and send some pictures. For a 5/16" bolt going into an aluminum rim how much material is needed?

Ideally you need a material thickness of .312 (5/16) min. The hole will be drilled out to .332 (Q) for tapping. Measure the distance from the edge of the rim to the edge of the tapped hole. You should have plenty of material to work with. If you don't have .312 minimum material thickness it can still be done but would require you to cut the insert down to size. You would lose some strength but it would still be stronger than a tapped hole in aluminum.

OP
OP
T

tnsbruce

Reaction score
I think I will have plenty of depth it is the material surrounding the hole I am worried about - how much do I need between the edge of the hole and the edge of the rim?

OP
OP
T

tnsbruce

Reaction score
Good news - the shop is going to take care of me - new wheel on its way.