New Model Spyder Headlight releasing next month.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M3toSVT

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lights should be here Thursday. Will post up my initial impressions then.

Last edited:

The258

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had posted on your ig about getting these but retrofitted from you. I've been very anxious for the new version headlights.

OP
OP
M3toSVT

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the lights in today.

Packaging was sub-par compared to the previous model. Lights were not as protected.
Given the smaller packaging, I guess you need to skimp somewhere.

Found a couple quality issues, nothing that will impact function, but not up to my standards.
One was some exposed wire just hanging out of a crimp point. The other being some taped up connector for the halogen bulb that is installed. And lastly, the DRL lighting had some noticeable dark spots where the lighting was not uniformly lit.

All of these wont matter anyway, as they will all be replaced and done right.

What I do like about these lights are the oem style, and maybe the best one is the adjustment that can be done with the lights installed.

I cant say anything for the light output right now. I will try to check that out this weekend. I'm not expecting anything great but we shall see.

On to the pictures.

Front:

7w8z7Ne.jpg

Rear:

qgpYhMp.jpg

DRL:

AKuuvVC.jpg

Projector Wiring:

swIdaM9.jpg

09UrS6H.jpg

Tex-R1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the lights in today.

Packaging was sub-par compared to the previous model. Lights were not as protected.
Given the smaller packaging, I guess you need to skimp somewhere.

Found a couple quality issues, nothing that will impact function, but not up to my standards.
One was some exposed wire just hanging out of a crimp point. The other being some taped up connector for the halogen bulb that is installed. And lastly, the DRL lighting had some noticeable dark spots where the lighting was not uniformly lit.

All of these wont matter anyway, as they will all be replaced and done right.

What I do like about these lights are the oem style, and maybe the best one is the adjustment that can be done with the lights installed.

I cant say anything for the light output right now. I will try to check that out this weekend. I'm not expecting anything great but we shall see.

On to the pictures.

Front:

7w8z7Ne.jpg

Rear:

qgpYhMp.jpg

DRL:

AKuuvVC.jpg

Projector Wiring:

swIdaM9.jpg

09UrS6H.jpg
can't wait see how they come out

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M3toSVT

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was able to dive into these today and get some comparison testing done. I will say I was a bit surprised. I will let the pictures do the talking.

Up first is the disassembly of the headlights. Here is a picture of the projector mounting.

20170318_161642_zpsi1budk6p.jpg

Backside of the housing.

20170318_161706_zpst9nbvtju.jpg

Close up of the new projector.

20170318_161718_zpsmvziqc1v.jpg

Closer picture.

20170318_161902_zps8wgcocjd.jpg

Closer picture of the last versions projector.
Notice how dull these look compared to the newer ones.

20170318_161926_zps8w80o64q.jpg

Here are all the projectors together. The Version 1 out of the old Spyder lights are on the left, the V2 projectors in the middle and the Mini H1 on the right.
The version 1 projector comes in a little above 2.5" the Minis a little below 2.5" and the version 2 projectors come in at 3"

20170318_180044_zpsvhcsbw8s.jpg

20170318_180051_zpsrgt1c7ns.jpg

20170318_180106_zpshib2wblj.jpg

Up next is the lighting output.
First will be the old version 1 projectors.
Now for this test between the 2 Spyder lights, I used the same exact bulb for both projectors to keep things as consistent as possible. Same goes for the voltage, which was 15VDC on a charger.
All pictures were taken in the same spot with shutter speed at 1/250 and an iso of 200.
These were the values I thought represented the output just as I saw it with my eyes.

20170318_165738_zps2reywllv.jpg

The light output for the version 1 was a max of 298 lux which was found just to the right of the horizontal cutoff portion.

Up next are the Version 2 Spyder projectors with the same bulb.

20170318_170915_zpsedbocfbh.jpg

So do you think there is a difference? LOL!
Man, what an upgrade from the version 1 projectors.
I measured a max lux of 3250 around the same area as the version 1.

Now the big dog, or the little dog with a big bite. The Mini H1.
This was running on a 50w ballast with a 5500k bulb.

20170318_172300_zpsrya4ixbn.jpg

The highest lux I measured here was 3210.
Say what? The Spyder projector was brighter?
Kinda.
While the hottest spot measured on the Spyder light was just barely brighter than the Mini. That was the only place the light output was brighter.
The Mini just puts out great light everywhere. As you can tell in the photos.

And last for ***** and giggles, I threw the Mini's H1 into the Spyder 1 projector.

20170318_173057_zpsagybgyye.jpg

The output was measured at 1550 at the brightest point. Which was not consistent due to the bulb not fitting these projectors.
I forgot to do the same to the V2 projectors. Maybe tomorrow.

Final notes: The first version of projectors from the Spyder headlights are crap.
The new versions projector is a hell of alot better than the previous one. I knew it would be better based on the finish of the projector bowl but it was a huge step up in light output.
The Mini is still a clear winner all around but for anyone who is looking for a decent upgrade over the stock halogen lights, these may be a good choice.
I will need to get some night shots for comparison. But that will have to be another day.

Last edited:

Z TEAM RACING II

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay have a question that is probably gonna make me sound dumb but let's give it a shot. I have a 012 raptor and it's got the standard factory halogens on it. Now I'm looking to buy some of the LED recons for the tail and buying the 2014 HID headlights for the front. Now I read that simply taking off and mounting on the headlights won't do it so what exactly do I have to do. Sorry for the nooby question but I'd rather ask y'all then look stupid. Keep in mind these are the exact lights I want put on my truck

OP
OP
M3toSVT

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay have a question that is probably gonna make me sound dumb but let's give it a shot. I have a 012 raptor and it's got the standard factory halogens on it. Now I'm looking to buy some of the LED recons for the tail and buying the 2014 HID headlights for the front. Now I read that simply taking off and mounting on the headlights won't do it so what exactly do I have to do. Sorry for the nooby question but I'd rather ask y'all then look stupid. Keep in mind these are the exact lights I want put on my truck

If you are looking to put the FORD OEM HID lights in then its a simple install with a wire harness from theretrofitsource.com. As long as the new lights have all the parts. Ballast, Bulbs, Etc.
These are an aftermarket replica and can be installed with no modifications. Except for the DRL wiring.