New member Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Whoops

Whoops

Reaction score
What did you build before? Why Raptor now?
I built a 2016 Tundra. In Tundra speak it's a long travel, pretty much the same travel #s and it's a mid travel in Raptor speak. The Tundra only has 2.25" wide leaf springs (WTF?) Upgrading to Jeff's custom 3" U420 pack is pretty essential and expensive. Guessing fewer than 10 trucks have made the upgrade though. I had to box the frame but beneath the cab it's still C channel. I had a coil bucket brace made (Thanks Kyle Green) to keep the coil buckets from gravitating toward the engine block. That's after having the buckets pulled back out. It's been a great reliable truck, never left me stranded except due to my poor driving that lead to popping the steering rack......twice.
Why the Raptor? I got it for the grape coolers in the seats.
Seriously though, The Tundra is really designed to be a reliable, semi-comfortable grocery getter. You can build it into something else but beefing up one part is just moving the stress to another spot. The Raptor is supposed to be designed for off road, so ostensibly a better jumping off point. The Raptors I've traveled with in Baja have done well and parts, should they be required, are likely a lot easier to find than something for a Tundra.