Need advice on a tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

Any of you retractable guys live in a snow and ice climate?

I do, hence why I recommended the Sentry CT. The competitor type, like the BAK Revolver X2/X4 uses a hinge system on the side to lock it in. When ice gets in there from melting snow then freezes or rain that freezes, the spring hinges do not release. I had the BAK Roll-X which was the cover before the Revolvers and I ran into issues when cold. The Retrax has a sealed system so it won't run into those issues other than knocking off ice from the cover and edges. I got the Sentry CT because I like the look of the material (same as the X15) and it uses Velcro on the edges so it won't have an issue with snow or ice.

I also had the Lomax and it is really nice but a tri-fold and it does come off very quick with no tools. I had the Truxedo LoPro which I liked too but its a soft cover and doesn't offer any security. The Sentry CT rolls up on top and does have a locking tab in the middle and at the end by the tailgate like most covers do. The CT comes off really quick with no tools and you could put it in the back seat at an angle.

Unfortunately, since I mentioned the Sentry CT, we sold out.
I am looking at trying to get more stock in.

upload_2020-7-21_14-45-2.png

upload_2020-7-21_14-45-27.png

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do, hence why I recommended the Sentry CT. The competitor type, like the BAK Revolver X2/X4 uses a hinge system on the side to lock it in. When ice gets in there from melting snow then freezes or rain that freezes, the spring hinges do not release. I had the BAK Roll-X which was the cover before the Revolvers and I ran into issues when cold. The Retrax has a sealed system so it won't run into those issues other than knocking off ice from the cover and edges. I got the Sentry CT because I like the look of the material (same as the X15) and it uses Velcro on the edges so it won't have an issue with snow or ice.

I also had the Lomax and it is really nice but a tri-fold and it does come off very quick with no tools. I had the Truxedo LoPro which I liked too but its a soft cover and doesn't offer any security. The Sentry CT rolls up on top and does have a locking tab in the middle and at the end by the tailgate like most covers do. The CT comes off really quick with no tools and you could put it in the back seat at an angle.

Unfortunately, since I mentioned the Sentry CT, we sold out.
I am looking at trying to get more stock in.

Very interesting.

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a tonneau cover for my new truck. I have traditionally used Access roll up covers on my last 3 trucks, and have been fairly happy with them. I like that even if something is protruding slightly into the cover, it will flex to a degree and still close.

My bed is full of tools and equipment 24/7. While I would like to keep water intrusion to an absolute minimum, it’s not a must have for me.

I really loved the added security of a retractable like Retrax, but the loss of bed space up front from the canister is a non-starter for me. I need to preserve every inch available. I’ve also heard they don’t do well in the land of ice and snow and corrosion.

Ive looked at the Tri-folds, but I often need the whole bed uncovered or need to roll up my cover at odd points.

Do you guys have any feedback? Should I stick with a roll up like this https://accessories.ford.com/bed-products/covers/cover-tonneau-12338.html ?

Or is there a retractable that would work?

Thanks.
Ive been really happy with my bak revolver x4. I off-road with it a lot and it keeps most of the dust and other shit out of it. Rolls up pretty easily and I can walk across it and powerwash it if need be. I see a little bit of water in my bed near the tailgate when I'm driving through storms but not much. They aren't the cheapest thing in the world but it's a bed cover I'll more than likely use on any truck I have in the future.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I have the Undercover Elite Tonneau hard cover, different design than what I had on my 2014 and I like it better because it raises higher, has a built in grab tool, removable led light and is fairly secure.

It's also very strong as far as standing on it, it's 100% leak proof and it comes off with a few turns of a knob on each side.

May not be as clean look as others but I like it, I also like the Diamond back.

20191029_152715.jpg 20190707_145435.jpg

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diamondback covers are real strong

I just ordered a Diamondback HD factory second for my Scab at a 30% discount. Seems like the most secure option but would be a pain for someone who has to use the whole bed frequently. Shouldn’t be a concern for me, I had hard fiberglass covers on my last four trucks and only had to remove them fully a handful of times.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy if I could put my hands on a hard tri-fold by Thurs (taking trip Fri morning). Was talking to a forum sponsor, but life got in the way for a day or two.