GEN 1 Method wheels quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why I have lost the finish on 3 year old wheels that never see salt or the winter roads. I don’t use any chemicals to clean the wheels or anything and don’t even drive the truck much. I’m assuming it’s the clear coat but what could cause this to happen ? All four wheels are like this.

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpeg
    IMG_0830.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0831.jpeg
    IMG_0831.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0832.jpeg
    IMG_0832.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0833.jpeg
    IMG_0833.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
03svt

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not coat them or wax them at all. I didn’t realize I had to. Flame all you want I just figured they had a clear coat or finish to some degree of protection.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those Methods are definitely clear coated aluminum, and that's a clear coat issue. Raw alum does not get crazing like that, it just gets dull and you can easily polish the dull out. ...and that's the ONLY benefit of raw alum, I agree with what Old Raptor Guy said, "One of the worst things I ever did was have a set of raw polished uncoated wheels on a daily driver." I had raw Center Line forged wheels on a truck - had to polish off the oxidation monthly or they looked like crapola, dull, etc. Best dam light weight forged wheel ever, just ugly.

I'd contact Method and tell 'em your story, they might help. Heck they might even warranty 'em?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a machined face that is clear coated. The clear failed at the edges and the corriosion started. The little wormy looking things is the aluminum oxidizing. Go look at any 15 year old car with aluminum wheels and you'll see the same thing.

Method wheels are cheap. They are made in China. They have crappy offsets. Most are not even hubcentric.

Why people on FRF buy them is beyond me.

OP
OP
03svt

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I’m going to call Method this week and see if I can get anything out of them.

Worst case I could bring them to a polisher, they would make a good project only real pain is taking all the tires off and on

Highwayman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I’m going to call Method this week and see if I can get anything out of them.

Worst case I could bring them to a polisher, they would make a good project only real pain is taking all the tires off and on

Probably better off planning on powder coat... Polishing those is a whole new headache...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter