Luggage in truck bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S197Mach1

Reaction score
So me and the family are going to be traveling out of state in about 2 weeks and I was thinking I didnt want to stuff all of our luggage in the cab and I wanted to utilize the truck bed. What options do I have to both protect luggage from the weather and secure it such as lock it up and ensure it wont leave the bed (for what ever reason) while driving? I would like to hear all options. Thanks in advance.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do reember a trip before I got the bed rack.
I just ran a mess of bungees form side to side thru any handle or strap I could find. Worked good.

OP
OP
S197Mach1

S197Mach1

Reaction score
I thought about just a bag or something but wasnt sure how to lock it up. I dont like having to look over my shoulder ever minute to ensure my stuff hasnt walked away... I was thinking about a bed cover like a rollx but wasnt sure how water tight they were and wasnt sure of future viability if I do choose to put a rack in the back.

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have used a thule or similar roof bag for many years with great results. they come with waterproof zippers, expansion zippers and more straps that you know what to do with. I only had an issue when we failed to close a zipper all the way and some snow piled up on the opening.-user error. i can easily recommend these bags

re-read the OP and saw the lock it up part.

I have a extang trifold on my F250 and love it. secure, waterproof, strong and easy to get in and out of

Last edited:

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Blue tarp, make sure to use tie downs properly.

445261_m730_____1.jpg

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did a two week trip and knew I would be locking stuff in the back. I got an ARE cover specifically for this trip. I negotiated this into my purchase after we were done quibbling about the price so I got a great deal.

I know it isn't the most appealing ascetically, and they are heavy, but I felt comfortable leaving stuff locked back there overnight in a hotel parking lot. Sure was nice not to have to worry about weather too.

I will be building a rack for it in my garage for when I am not using it as I don't plan to run it all the time. I will likely keep it on all winter because it is nice to be able to throw crap back there without filling up the back seat. My dad has the same cover for his F350 and has a rack in his garage that hangs from the ceiling and pulls up out of the way. I put in on last time I borrowed the truck and it was pretty simple. Best to have two people to move it though.

That being said, I would likely do some kind of hard, lockable cover again. I have read great things about the backflip but don't have any experience myself. Good luck in your quest and have a great trip.

I also have a black Xcargo car top carrier/roof rack pod that would fit nicely in the bed and strap down in a pinch. Just food for thought.

20141003_123722.jpg

20141003_123759.jpg

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Bakflip G2 on my Raptor to protect and secure stuff in the bed...

If installed & used properly, you won't have any leak, at least mine is perfectly sealed, the truck sits outisde and even under heavy rain it stays perfectly dry...Easy to instal/uninstall too...

Add a bunch of bungees to tie down everything and you're good to go...

Ingot SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truxedo low pro qt and luggage in trash bags just in case (the Ford spray in liner has a few gaps at the seems and floor area). The truxedo works for my needs really well easy install/removal rolls up for large items without taking space.