Lug nut broke off???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tim,
Also a small cold chisel with a 2# brass hammer being very careful. Afterwards drive out that stud and replace it with a new one...oh yeah.........USE anti seize this time on all of the studs! As Metalman in the Adirondacks says "RUST NEVER SLEEPS".
Eddie

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just an elaboration:
Heavy impact will loosen (shatter/crumble) corrosion crystals and compress the softer (aluminum) material; thereby loosen the fastener.

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just an elaboration:
Heavy impact will loosen (shatter/crumble) corrosion crystals and compress the softer (aluminum) material; thereby loosen the fastener.

I don't think that the nut is rusted or corroded onto the stud. I believe the lug nut(s) was just poorly made. The spline socket which came with the lugs also failed. I beleive it's being held in place with the 150 lb-ft.

There's not a whole lot holding the nut together, I'm hopping a small cold chisel will crack it.

SilverBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take a die grinder with a small carbide burr and just split the rest of the nut you may have to cut it in two places but that is the standard method I use to remove broken nuts. Also you have to have a very steady hand or the grinder will jump all over.

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would take a die grinder with a small carbide burr and just split the rest of the nut you may have to cut it in two places but that is the standard method I use to remove broken nuts. Also you have to have a very steady hand or the grinder will jump all over.
I tried, it's a tight spot. I managed to drill 4 small holes and tried to use a dremel type grinder. Even the cold chisel wouldn't snap that thing.

You haven't got that off yet?? lol
*******! lol

So, I took it down to a local shop and the owner was there (closed on Sundays). He spent an hour on it. Heating it and trying to use a bolt remover. Finally, we decided to just drive the stud thru the nut. ******* pain in the ass, and all because I tried to save a few bucks on lug nuts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 103

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, these are just some cheap ass piece of crap lugnuts, not the ones normally sold for the Methods, correct? Cause I just had new ones installed on mine from SDHQ

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, these are just some cheap ass piece of crap lugnuts, not the ones normally sold for the Methods, correct? Cause I just had new ones installed on mine from SDHQ

Correct, I bought these off eBay. Still, From now on I'm sticking with normal lug nuts, not the splined ones.

Hope I can save someone the hassle I went thru.

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll let you know. We pulled the caliper off to get to the stud. I didn't have a spare stud lying around (or a spare lug nut), so the saga continues.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

I'm thinking the new stud should be fairly easy to replace. Just tap it in from the backside, and once the lug nut is torqued down, the stud should seat itself.

Last edited: