Lighting Guide. Choose the Best Lighting for You

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a defined cutoff line, which means there is less scattering of the light. The light is focused without scatter which helps in low/foggy/raining weather by limiting whiteout effect. Also the HID lights produce a wide beam an luminates the both sides of the ditches without blinding oncoming traffic. The light output is a pure white and not the yellowish light of halogen. You can easily over drive stock headlights, and you can't out drive HID on the highway (offroad is a different story)..

-Greg

Jordan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all that is why the projector headlights with LED bulbs are better than pure white bulbs in stock headlights correct.

I just gotta make sure I can understand it cuz my wife will think of questions I could never imagine. Shes not completely against it but Ive got to justify the cost.

OP
OP
Maxx2893

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan, I wrote this guide more as offroad auxiliary lighting. For headlights, I don't thing LED is an option yet (unfortunately). If you want better headlights you have 4 choices I will go over in order from worst to best.

1. better halogens- this is an option, however it will yield minimal results. $50

2. HID stock housing- this will get you brighter lights, however it is illegal and can blind oncoming drivers. $100

3. cheap HID projector- brands like recon, spyder, etc. all chinese made and very bad quality. If you want this route I would suggest bumping up to a true retrofit or save money and just do HID's in stock housing. Will get you brighter lights, and send light in to oncoming eyes. $500

4. true retrofit- best option availabe. Uses HID's, however it places the light where you need it, making it safer all around. contact ducati on here for more information, or click on Raptor Retrofits. $750 +

Jordan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jordan, I recommend seperate checking accounts, and then ask fo forgiveness after the acquisition has happen.

Lol.

I feel that a key piece of information has been omitted that you may want to consider before recommending that course of action.

My wife is asian. She may literally :pokeowned:

Otherwise I looked into the recon and the retrofit and the retrofit is just too much for the budget. I didnt realize the recons were poor quality cuz I see alot of people running them on the board.

I dont want to waste money on them if theyre shit.

And I TRY to be respectful of other drivers so I dont want to blind anyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maxx2893

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol.

I feel that a key piece of information has been omitted that you may want to consider before recommending that course of action.

Otherwise I looked into the recon and the retrofit and the retrofit is just too much for the budget. I didnt realize the recons were poor quality cuz I see alot of people running them on the board.

Well I'm not sure what to tell you. If you want to get hands-on, you can do a retrofit yourself. There are many here that would be happy to help you. It is labor intensive, but you can save a large amount of coin. The reason retrofitting costs so much, is it's a bitch to do lol. Ducati has guided a few people to do their own retrofit's. He's done so many now that he has a few tips and tricks to help you.

To get better light output, that truly is your best option. Another option you have is auxiliary lighting that you turn off when other cars are around. I'd recommend Rigid D2's in driving pattern.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol.

Recons are crap! I would not let my ex wife drive a car with them!
The reason so many people (unfortunately) have them is million dollar advertising campaign, brand loyalty, lack of knowledge.

I make it a point to let people know not to buy RECONs. And some people think I have a vendeta against them. Having been suckered into buying their junk. I make sure I let people know before they waste their money on light worse than OEM! And then they have to spend more money to get proper lights!

-Greg

OP
OP
Maxx2893

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing with Recon's are, they send light everywhere. They truly do blind other drivers.

Which could get you a ticket, or worse, cause some to crash into you because they were too busy shielding their eyes. All you were trying to do was make your drive safer with more light and now you actually caused the crash.

If I were you, I would save money to pay Ducati or tackle the retrofit yourself. With it getting to the dark season up there, you really do need better lights. And it'll be your most used mod

Last edited:

Jordan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, based on all this I may just upgrade the current bulbs and add some additional driving lights that I can turn on and off manually. Im not the best mechanic and Im scared shitless of electrical cuz Ive made some very costly mistakes (think blown amplifier, and BCM) in the past so I dont think Id take a retrofit on myself.

thanks for all the help and lettin me know the true nature of Recon.