Key fob entry not working untill key is put into ignition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAFordGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 2014 key fob just kinda "turns off" every now and then. I'm not sure what the issue is, but every now and then the key fob will just stop working. No matter what I press (unlock, lock, remote start, panic button) I get no response even when standing inches from the truck. Then I use the key to gain entry, alarm beeps (not the loud horn alarm, the beep inside the truck telling me to insert key to ignition or loud alarm will go off). After I do this and start the truck, the key fob works again when I exit vehicle. It's kinda like when I start the truck it resets what ever the issue was.

So my question. Is this normal? Am I activating some safety feature I didn't know about? Or is there an issue with the system. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 12951

Remote start is flaky and sometimes doesn't work, lights usually flash and a beep. But I have never seen it when it doesn't work completely, not even unlocking the doors? No that's not normal. Does the other FOB have the same issue? If it does then I would take it into the dealer and have them look at it.

OP
OP
VAFordGuy

VAFordGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will try the other FOB, it does it randomly not every time. But when it does, nothing works. No light flash, door lock or anything. Also, after I use the key in the door to unlock, the alarm count down begins, so I know its not un-arming the alarm either. Really random to me. The fact that it seems to reset the issue after I put the key in and start the truck makes me think its something with the truck and not the FOB. I'll try out the other FOB and see if it happens, time will tell.

Kapolani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the shit?

This just happened to me. This morning. Tried to lock the door. It wouldn't work.

I thought the battery died.

So, I just made sure I could open with the key. Alarm started chiming.

Closed door - and it locked with fob.

Weird.