It's a wrap !!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cbs001 what material did you use for the wrap. Was it the 3M 1080 wrap? What is the color? Is it the Dark Gray metallic? I am getting a silver SCrew and wanted to do the hood strip in this same color. I have some samples, but I didn't realize the Dark Gray I have has a strong metallic in it.

Exactly! It is matte dark grey. The matte silver grey samples looked good, but saw it in person and was to light for my taste, looked like silver.

Have had my wrap 1.5 years, and definitely has saved my paint. Top 5 mods that I have done.

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
i know i knoww but i had no idea it was that expensive. plus stickers wouldn't hold up with me, nor would they look good with all the dents i have.

That film thats clear but once glues on its matte the same chris ross had on his raptor. I called a few shops around here they said 4,000 which i told they they were nuts. after 10 minutes google research i found a supplier for the stuff at 3.00 a sq ft. Basically it was around 1000 more or less for the material.
I was going to do it myself but ended up fixing some broken stuff. oh it was called xpel dunno if thats what you have

wiz1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. definitely has saved my paint. Top 5 mods that I have done.
Agreed...
i know i knoww but i had no idea it was that expensive. plus stickers wouldn't hold up with me, nor would they look good with all the dents i have.

That film thats clear but once glues on its matte the same chris ross had on his raptor. I called a few shops around here they said 4,000 which i told they they were nuts. after 10 minutes google research i found a supplier for the stuff at 3.00 a sq ft. Basically it was around 1000 more or less for the material.
I was going to do it myself but ended up fixing some broken stuff. oh it was called xpel dunno if thats what you have
A few things to keep in mind not all wrap material is created equal and you have to have the equipment to do the lamination..($$$$) Also don't be fooled into thinking that it's just a lay it down and trim it out kinda thing..When my truck was being done there was a lot of prep work that went into it.
The trucks paint needed to be perfectly clean that included using a buffing wheel. Then there was about 2-3 hours to disassemble the mirrors, flares, door handles ECT..
Also when working with the wrap you need some knowledge on how to stretch and form it with out ******** it up...There was heat and a lot of sweat going on...
Just saying..
A few shots of the deal..
021-12.jpg
020-14.jpg
019-16.jpg
018-13.jpg

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That film thats clear but once glues on its matte the same chris ross had on his raptor.

My truck is getting 100% wrapped in Xpel Stealth, which is the stuff you're talking about.

I'll have it done before the SnoBall.

Picture from the intarweb of a black truck wrapped with that film.
2012_075.JPG

Last edited:

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White Star Industries Raptor

we got quoted $4000 so we did it ourselves

Attachments

• IMG_6744 (620x413).jpg
    IMG_6744 (620x413).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_6810 (620x410).jpg
    IMG_6810 (620x410).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 152

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I spoke to an installer about the ease of removing wraps. He said it depends on factors like how big the area you are trying to remove from and how long its been on the car. He said it's not easy. He even hinted that after 3 years you may damage the paint.

So I wonder if this is true?

can't take it all with you. While you can wear your trail pin stripping with pride, I can just peel off my stickers and good as new.

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can find people to do these wraps for $1500-$2000 but as most things you get what you pay for. As Wiz has said there is a lot of prep work that needs to be done.

The main reason my wrap was so expensive was the interior, everything had to be stripped out of the truck and wrapped. It took 2 days to wrap just the interior.

I have a warranty from the installer and have had 4 pieces re-wrapped at no expense. I was told the wrap can stay on up to 5 years and can be removed without paint damage.

I used the 3M product, but did look at the Xpel product which is very nice and if I recall it is 8 mm thick, but remember it is clear wrap that also comes in a stealth matte version and from what I understand will not change the color just the finish.

WSI, I love the OD green and was thinking about doing that color with a black hood and roof but then saw an Audi R8 in the matte dark grey and that was that. Your wrap came out great

Chayse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decisions, decisions. I like the idea of the matte dark gray stripe on the hood similar to the stock graphic, but I also like the Xpel Steath film and making the truck all matte silver. Maybe a combo of each, do the gray for the hood, then finishe the rest of the truck with the Xpel stealth. I installed 3m clear paint protection on the front bumper of my current STi. It came out great for my first try at it. Maybe i'll just pick up the film and do it myself.