Is Tint Needed For Rear Facing Ambers To Prevent Blinding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the SnoBall thread, the observation was made that the rear facing amber lights were blinding drivers coming up from behind. While the ambers are helpful to prevent running over the truck ahead, is some additional tint warranted to prevent blinding those behind?

If someone has done this, how dark a tint did you use?

I have rear facing Rigid floods that already have an adhesive orange tint layer. How much tint over this is optimal?

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that ppl said they are blinding. I run my dually amber floods out front 24/7 and never had anyone oncoming complain day or night.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had a chance to ask anyone directly about my rear amber(which I admit is quite bright as it's 4x10w led).

But, I had it pointed at about a 45 degree up from the bed, after I noticed how bright it was when straight back. Hoping for just a yellow glow in the snow.

OP
OP
MotuMute

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have mine facing slightly downward under the rear bumper, so I believe they are not going to be a problem.

However, I do see trucks with 2 to 8 rear facing lights aimed straight backwards. Maybe ok if only have a few of them on during a run with someone behind in their dust.

Just saw where tint was being used, and am curious as to which tint and how much for differing lenses, or if it's necessary at all.

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

e5u6ymaq.jpg

wolfnnc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a 4" Rigid Flood Amber at Snoball, during the day...no issues. But at night it did prove to be a bit blinding for some, so a simple rotation of the light fixed that issue....and they had no issues seeing the light