Installation of Lights - 6 Aux Switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was happy to see Ford put in more upfitters and move them overhead where they are more convenient. However, I think it was shortsighted to get rid of the 30 amp switches. The only way to get serious lighting on this thing with the interactive louvers is roof mounted, which is pushing 30 amps, and onboard air will need additional relays too.

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is stupid, I don't have my truck yet to form an educated opinion on, but can't you just replace the relay with a higher amp relay? (Maybe heavier gauge wiring too.)

If not I guess you can use the relay to trigger another relay, but kind of a clunky solution.

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The relay is probably not the issue, the wire gauge is. Rewiring with heavier gauge wire is impractical and time consuming, triggering a second relay is the best solution, ideal? no. With 6 switches, 2 of them should have been left with a 30 amp rating.

hewster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The relay is probably not the issue, the wire gauge is. Rewiring with heavier gauge wire is impractical and time consuming, triggering a second relay is the best solution, ideal? no. With 6 switches, 2 of them should have been left with a 30 amp rating.

Yep.... I am going to relay mine.. just because but this is my current plan:

AUX 1 15a: VACANT
AUX 2 15a: Radiance 30" and 2x SR 6" = 14.5amps
AUX 3 10a: 2x Dually SAE/DOT = 4.6amps
AUX 4 10a: VACANT
AUX 5 5a: 4x Radiance PODs and 30" amber backlights = ?amps (I am waiting for a response from RI for the amp rating for the backlights of each light. I am assuming the ratings will be minimal)
AUX 6 5a: 4x Radiance PODs= 4amps

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep.... I am going to relay mine.. just because but this is my current plan:

AUX 1 15a: VACANT
AUX 2 15a: Radiance 30" and 2x SR 6" = 14.5amps
AUX 3 10a: 2x Dually SAE/DOT = 4.6amps
AUX 4 10a: VACANT
AUX 5 5a: 4x Radiance PODs and 30" amber backlights = ?amps (I am waiting for a response from RI for the amp rating for the backlights of each light. I am assuming the ratings will be minimal)
AUX 6 5a: 4x Radiance PODs= 4amps

There is an example where a higher rating would be nice, 14.5 amps is really pushing that AUX 2, should stay under 12 amps for continuous duty.

hewster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an example where a higher rating would be nice, 14.5 amps is really pushing that AUX 2, should stay under 12 amps for continuous duty.

Ya it wont be continuous, and I will be adding a relay.

Like I said, I agree, I would like to have had 30amp switches. I don't see why they would even do the 15,10,5.... other than to save a few dollars on each truck.

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have one of these in my CJ7. I could see myself purchasing another one for my Raptor.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/auxiliary-fuse-relay-panel.352802/

I like that. Do they make it in a 6 relay version? would've been handy when I did my gen 1.

Ya it wont be continuous, and I will be adding a relay.

Like I said, I agree, I would like to have had 30amp switches. I don't see why they would even do the 15,10,5.... other than to save a few dollars on each truck.

All I can figure is economics also, save a couple bucks a truck but add that up over 10,000 vehicles....

hewster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that. Do they make it in a 6 relay version? would've been handy when I did my gen 1.

All I can figure is economics also, save a couple bucks a truck but add that up over 10,000 vehicles....

Yep.. what I said just reworded :winner_second_h4h:

I will also be adding a secondary fuse block most likely to clean it up instead of using inline fuses and having a mass amount of wires coming off of the battery.

J.Bodolay

Full Access Member
Reaction score