If you're interested in paint coatings I'll get you sorted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STRiDOR

Reaction score
What a great thread, a lot of valuable information here. Trimmell, you obviously love what you do and you are a wealth of knowledge on the subject. Very helpful for myself, and others I'm sure.

So I'm the proud owner of a brand new (built from factory 12 days ago) all black raptor. Tints and smoked tail lights are happening on Monday, and I'm currently shopping for the best way to take care of my new big baby.

So I plan on using my raptor for what it was built to do, but also use it in the city. So I want it to look as good as I can, and cleanup nicely after bringing it out to play every 3-4 weeks or so on the trails. For that type of usage, do you still recommend going this route? And if so is there anything different you would do with my situation than a more the more typical Raptor daily city commuter?

Reading through this whole thread, I wish you were still in socal, I would have met up with you to do the work! So who would you recommend that I deal with around Santa Monica?I'm flexible, doesn't need to be right next to me, just looking for honest people who do an awesome job at a reasonable price.

Regards!

OP
OP
TRIMMELL

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a great thread, a lot of valuable information here. Trimmell, you obviously love what you do and you are a wealth of knowledge on the subject. Very helpful for myself, and others I'm sure.

So I'm the proud owner of a brand new (built from factory 12 days ago) all black raptor. Tints and smoked tail lights are happening on Monday, and I'm currently shopping for the best way to take care of my new big baby.

So I plan on using my raptor for what it was built to do, but also use it in the city. So I want it to look as good as I can, and cleanup nicely after bringing it out to play every 3-4 weeks or so on the trails. For that type of usage, do you still recommend going this route? And if so is there anything different you would do with my situation than a more the more typical Raptor daily city commuter?

Reading through this whole thread, I wish you were still in socal, I would have met up with you to do the work! So who would you recommend that I deal with around Santa Monica?I'm flexible, doesn't need to be right next to me, just looking for honest people who do an awesome job at a reasonable price.

Regards!

Hello!

Thank you for the kind words. I truly do love detailing and I've tried to give the best guidance I can. Coating is going to protect the paint better than wax of Sealant and it's going to resist scratches but if you'll be out playing in the trails and getting a bunch of desert pinstripes then coating might not be the best choice for your situation. Coating will offer the most protection but it is more difficult to remove scratches. Coating can be polished and there are products you can use to polish with that will help rebuild the coating and fill in scratches in your coating permanently but they aren't perfect. Depending on your financial situation wrapping the truck in XPEL might be the better option.

If you're not going to be out in the brush, coating will work just fine and offer the best protection as well as keep the truck super easy to wash.

Give Stevens Detailing in Ventura a call. He is the best detailer in the area up there by far. He is a bit north of you but the work is incredible. He offers the full line of CQuartz products as well as his own brand of products and he can get you taken care of. Take care.

(877)557-5054

STRiDOR

Reaction score
Depending on your financial situation wrapping the truck in XPEL might be the better option.

If you're not going to be out in the brush, coating will work just fine and offer the best protection as well as keep the truck super easy to wash.

Give Stevens Detailing in Ventura a call. He is the best detailer in the area up there by far. He is a bit north of you but the work is incredible. He offers the full line of CQuartz products as well as his own brand of products and he can get you taken care of. Take care.

(877)557-5054

Thanks, I wasn't really thinking about xpel too much, but I started researching after you mentioned it and it looks like it might be a good option. Do you know if xpel stealth would hold up? I like the matte finish, and it seems to have the same self healing qualities as ultimate. I haven't been able to find too many people with that who've done any off-roading to speak of.

Also do you recommend getting a CQuartz on top of a wrap?

Cheers

OP
OP
TRIMMELL

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I wasn't really thinking about xpel too much, but I started researching after you mentioned it and it looks like it might be a good option. Do you know if xpel stealth would hold up? I like the matte finish, and it seems to have the same self healing qualities as ultimate. I haven't been able to find too many people with that who've done any off-roading to speak of.

Also do you recommend getting a CQuartz on top of a wrap?

Cheers

Stealth looks amazing in person but I have no idea how it holds up to major scratches. It is self healing like regular XPEL but I'm not sure how it holds up if you're out in the brush. It would be hard to scratch all the way through the film but I would imagine after awhile you'll end up with scratches that won't self heal. I've seen swirl marks and very light scratches self heal out in the heat over the course of a day but I don't know where the limit is.

If you want the best protection and ease of use applying CQuartz over the coating will give you the best protection. Self healing properties will be blocked by the CQuartz but in my opinion if you're going to be on the trails I wouldn't coat the truck after you have wrapped it in film. Just use a product like CarPro's Reload Sealant. CarPro Reload Spray Sealant - 1000 ml | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
You will still have similar hydrophobic properties to coating and the ease of washing. Reload still looks amazing too and is super easy to apply.

STRiDOR

Reaction score
Stealth looks amazing in person but I have no idea how it holds up to major scratches. It is self healing like regular XPEL but I'm not sure how it holds up if you're out in the brush. It would be hard to scratch all the way through the film but I would imagine after awhile you'll end up with scratches that won't self heal. I've seen swirl marks and very light scratches self heal out in the heat over the course of a day but I don't know where the limit is.

If you want the best protection and ease of use applying CQuartz over the coating will give you the best protection. Self healing properties will be blocked by the CQuartz but in my opinion if you're going to be on the trails I wouldn't coat the truck after you have wrapped it in film. Just use a product like CarPro's Reload Sealant. CarPro Reload Spray Sealant - 1000 ml | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
You will still have similar hydrophobic properties to coating and the ease of washing. Reload still looks amazing too and is super easy to apply.

Thanks again. I like the idea of washing it with hydrophobic properties. I'll get some quotes and see what this will run for in my area and go from there. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Cheers

OP
OP
TRIMMELL

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. I like the idea of washing it with hydrophobic properties. I'll get some quotes and see what this will run for in my area and go from there. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Cheers

XPEL will run you $5-6k on a Raptor and Stealth will be closer to around $7k from what I have seen. It's certainly not cheap but it's the absolute best protection available.

OP
OP
TRIMMELL

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@TRIMMELL
Thanks for all the amazing info!!! Do you have an recommendations for the Minneapolis MN area? Thanks!!!

I'm not familiar with anyone up there but I searched around and the only person I found on the interwebs that looks to do quality work is Rasky's Auto Detailing. (612)875-6836

HulkSmash23

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with anyone up there but I searched around and the only person I found on the interwebs that looks to do quality work is Rasky's Auto Detailing. (612)875-6836

Thoughts on Pristine Detail or Glistening Detail? Based on their Instagram feeds they appear to do good work as well. Having trouble picking one to use.

Overboost

Reaction score
Trimmell, I have just read through this entire thread and thank you for all of the helpful information. Can you recommend anyone in the Middle Tennessee area for paint correction/coatings? Specifically Nashville or Franklin TN? Thanks!