I think I really like my 2020 better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just because the engine and transmission hasn't changed, doesn't mean the truck is the same... I keep seeing comments that is hasn't changed enough to warrant an upgrade from a Gen2. The interior is completely different as is most of the exterior styling (love it or not)... plus the suspension is completely different in the rear with new shocks all around. Plus a 37 option. Love the styling or not, it is a different truck... minus engine and transmission. I was on the fence at first, but now I think the Gen2 looks dated compared to the Gen3. My 0.02.

Everyone's going to have different priorities and how the value different features and aspects of a truck. It's certainly understandable that someone who already has a Gen 2 wants the bigger screen, rear suspension, improved interior, factory 37s, the latest and greatest, etc....than it can absolutely make sense to switch from Gen 2 to 3.

For me personally, my 17 is paid off, and I've probably put about $10k in upgrades to it. If I sell it for maybe $65k (if I can get that) and get a Gen 3 for $80k, It'll cost me $15k and I essentially get nothing back on my upgrades...so it's somewhere around a $25k cost to me. That's not including any tax charges, insurances changes, depreciation, etc...rough estimate here. I also have to go through the headache of locating and negotiating a fair price and any potential issues with my order. I just don't want to do that right now.

One other thing, and perhaps the most important thing, is the Gen 3 isn't exactly what I want it to be, and there is reason to believe it will be much closer to what I want when I actually am ready to upgrade my Gen 2 a few years from now. The 37 package may not have blue interior, and we may have 50 more HP in the engine. We may even have a hybrid option. There will be different color options. I will have had a chance to test drive it. We may end up with a Gen 4 Raptor. Or nothing changes, don't know.

I'm thinking there will be some changes though, because there have been some small changes in the past, and the Raptor has never had this level of competition before, driving more improvements faster.

fts

Reaction score
I test drove a used 2018 last week, the first time driving a Raptor. I was pleasantly surprised. Really good steering feel, good body control, very comfortable, good turning radius. It did not feel like a truck from inside the cabin to me, it was very similar to the SUVs we have. The brakes were firm, and visibility was very good. There weren't any rattles or unwanted noises in the cabin. Only when I opened the sunroof I started hearing moderate tire roar. The sunroof did not cooperate in closing after I opened it though. The truck had 25K miles on it.

I see the Gen 3, as an uninformed interested party, as an evolution of the Gen 2. The rear suspension improvements, on paper, represent a welcome change in my opinion. The interior is superb. It is a luxury vehicle for sure with tons of capability and functionality.

Here is THE downside: The dealer is asking $5K over its original MSRP. I had difficulty holding myself from laughing. I did not even bother asking them for a price on a new one.

They had a RAM TRX in front of the showroom as well, someone must have traded it in probably. That truck was huge, so much so that it is unusable for me, unfortunately. Ingress/egress is beyond difficult, its size is way too imposing, and in your face. The Raptor did not give me that impression, it looked very usable with a strong presence. And I am stating this with no preference for either brand or model since I never purchased from either brand previously.

Overall I would imagine that if I had a Gen 2, paid off or not, I'd be hard-pressed to jump onto a Gen 3 looking for major upgrades. Gen 2 vs. Gen 3, to me, feels more like a 911 997.1 vs. 997.2 evolution, not like going from 997 to 991, I am sure at least some of you can relate.

So, for someone like me who does not have a Raptor, buying a Gen 3 vs. a used Gen 2, even if there was a $20K difference, the Gen 3 makes more sense. And waiting for the R just to see what it is also reasonable I think.

triggerfish

Reaction score
All these people with 2020's trying to talk themselves out of a 2021 LMAO.

First, if you bought a 2020 you knew the refresh was coming and did it anyways... so any way you can justify your purchase, I'll go along with you ;).

There are SO many things to like about the 2021+, and while it's not the V8 we were hoping for (yet) it has a far superior interior, rear suspension, exhaust note (insert joke here), and tech. If you're willing to overlook that, good for you. But I'm not going to pretend it's not something worth upgrading to.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

First, if you bought a 2020 you knew the refresh was coming and did it anyways... so any way you can justify your purchase, I'll go along with you ;).

There are SO many things to like about the 2021+, and while it's not the V8 we were hoping for (yet) it has a far superior interior, rear suspension, exhaust note (insert joke here), and tech. If you're willing to overlook that, good for you. But I'm not going to pretend it's not something worth upgrading to.
Yes, I specifically wanted the last year before the refresh because of reliability and price. Of the improvements you list, the only one I care about is the rear suspension. Of those you don't mention, I also would like 37s that were engineered to work properly. Looks, interior, tech, sound, IDGAF. Actually, I do. I'd like a plastic interior that I can hose out, I hate tech, and I'm both hearing impaired and tone deaf, so I prefer a quiet exhaust. I'll probably pick up a gen 3 when they've ironed out any bugs(I don't expect very many because the changes are minimal) and when my bargaining power is highest. 2023 at the earliest.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I don't feeling like I'm over looking the new features, I just don't see them as needs that will vastly improve my driving experience. As far as the interior goes, I already have an upgraded sound system and 12 in screen. It's unlikely that the Gen 3 interior will fill like an upgrade to me as far as that goes. Maybe the aesthetics will give a better experience, but until I sit in one I don't know. And I don't miss what I don't know. If I didn't already have interior upgrades, that would feel like a big motivator to me.

For the rear suspension, I don't do enough offroad driving for that to really matter, and not sure how it's going to impact on road driving for me. Again, something a test drive might answer.

Exhaust note...I am fine with what I have. I'm sure this will be improved, but not something I just gotta have.

As far as 'tech', I'm not sure what that means specifically. The lighting and power changes sound fun, but not something I need to have. Not sure what I need OTA updates for. Maybe something else I'm forgetting.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score

There's also things to not like about the 2021+..... No SCAB is the biggest one for me and I still think the gen2 looks better.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's also things to not like about the 2021+..... No SCAB is the biggest one for me and I still think the gen2 looks better.

The blue interior seems to be a fan un-favorite too. Something that hasn't been mention much, but how good is B&O Unleashed sound system, and how expensive is to do an aftermarket upgrade, now that there's what, 16 speakers? 2 in the ceiling and 4 in the headrests?