Howe Power steering Upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said Captain, get the RPG/Icon PSR and the SDHQ cooler and you will be fine for our northern weather. I did have a thermostatic controlled bypass for the cooler for the winter but found it was more of an issue and removed it.

OP
OP
Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya thats what i'am going to do just wanted to see if the TC pump was that much better but can't really justify the $700 price difference. Now just to get the dame pump fixed is going to take for ever got an appointment on Friday just for them to look at it then will need to make another one to get it fixed tempted to just buy the pump and do it my self.

Update. got the truck into a dealer and they are going to warranty the pump will be done tomorrow

Last edited:

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am running this setup. Have had the large tank w spin off filter and billet cooler for over a year now. That extra volume really got the burnt oil smell to go away when offroading. The on going issue has been loosing pumps. From what I understand the seals cannot hold up to the high temps that can occur in some conditions. The last was a ford pump with some mods done by Howe to improve flow. While we were no longer cooking the oil the temps were still more than the ford pump likes.

Now we have the TC pump which is suppose to hold up much better. Right now I have 1300 miles on it without issue, but have yet to really put the test on it in a long hot offroad session. It hums a touch and I was told that's just how the TC pumps sound. After the first day I stopped noticing it. It feels better than the last pump.

I still have some concerns about how much heat we are building up in some conditions and after a conversion with one of the guys at McKenzies he suggested I try a dual fan Setrab cooler. Word was that the pro drift guys swear by this setup.

Its a Series 9, FP920M22l, and according to the marketing, the twin fans give the same flow as rolling at 50MPH standing still. I am going to create a new mount and place it in just under the current Setrab trans cooler. Still have good clearance from the bumper down tubes and its above the bottom of the frame. Also plan on adding a temp gauge so I can get an idea of whats really going on.

The new PS cooler is below the bottom line of the Radiator. In the long haul the trans cooler is moving to the back and a larger radiator is going in to help keep the motor cooler.

It may be overkill but running without a pump is a real pain. Hopefully this next setup is bombproof.

Beyond that is a Howe Ram setup like Chris Ross has. I am looking at that real close.

7236-howe-tank-w-filter-cooler.jpg

7237-howe-pump.jpg

7238-new-twin-fan-cooler-location.jpg

Thanks for the update G&P. I'm paying close attention to your findings via PM's and here. Let me know what you think I should do on your best judgement whenever you can. I can't be going without power steering one handed for sure. Lol

OP
OP
Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the update G&P. I'm paying close attention to your findings via PM's and here. Let me know what you think I should do on your best judgement whenever you can. I can't be going without power steering one handed for sure. Lol

ya it sucked big time having no power streering. Truck is all done and good to go the pump wasn't totally seized up but was hard enough to turn were it was chewing up the belt. now time to give RPG a call as i'am in Canada and can't order off there web site :Frustrated::throw:

SILVER

Reaction score
So I bought the Howe power steering kit and had a local shop install it. They had to add spacers to push out my Whipple Supercharger's intercooler so the Howe reservoir would fit. It steers at stop now but its rough to the right and really rough and loud to the left. I called Howe and they said this is normal and that I'm not the first to call about the issue. I'm not sure if I would prefer the stock pump which performs good but dies at 30k or this $1200 kit that is choppy and loud but supposedly will last. Not happy Ford didn't put some effort into getting this right in the first place. Especially considering the price of these trucks. Also so far not very happy with the Howe kit.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I bought the Howe power steering kit and had a local shop install it. They had to add spacers to push out my Whipple Supercharger's intercooler so the Howe reservoir would fit. It steers at stop now but its rough to the right and really rough and loud to the left. I called Howe and they said this is normal and that I'm not the first to call about the issue. I'm not sure if I would prefer the stock pump which performs good but dies at 30k or this $1200 kit that is choppy and loud but supposedly will last. Not happy Ford didn't put some effort into getting this right in the first place. Especially considering the price of these trucks. Also so far not very happy with the Howe kit.
Can you get some video of it?

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

Post a pic ofyour Raptor here:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=49261&share_fid=17668&share_type=t
Calendar contest August 17
♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

Vote for a pic here: vvvvvvvvvvvv
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1010757

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Howe many of these threads did you post this in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Who is this guy?!?! You should use the stock rack. I'll take the Howe from you at half price. You're welcome