how to wire upfitter switch 1 to 10 amp fuse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a Rigid 20" E series using upfitter switch #1. I connected the red wire to the yellow wire because everything I read online seemed to indicate that this was the most common connection people seem to use. While this connection works great, upfitter#1 is rated at 30 amps and I'm concerned that over-fusing the Rigid might be bad for the light or even dangerous. I figured I could simply swap the 30 amp fuse to an appropriate 7.5 amp or 10 amp fuse, but after looking at the under hood fuse panel, I'm not so sure if the high current fuses Ford uses for upfitter #1 and #2 or available under 20 amps. I definitely want to run the Rigid off of upfitter switch #1.

I hate the thought of re-wiring the work I've already done; ideally I could just pop in the correct fuse and be done. I'm going to stop at a Ford dealer tomorrow and see if the make a 7.5 or 10 amp high current fuse. That said, any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. If something shorts it will pop the 30A fuse. You could always add a 10 Amp inline if you are worried about it.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Don't worry about it, a light is only going to blow a fuse if it grounds out in which case it would blow any fuse. The amp rating matters more on pumps, motors and the like.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
M

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear. I spent so much time meticulously soldering everything, I hated the thought of tearing it down and re-wiring things.

trentw12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i always put an inline low amp fuse on my grounds just in case something shorts back through it! i do it on the control modules on the machines i work on too. When these guys weld on them and do not ground right at the work point. they screw alot of stuff up. 1 controller is $4000 to $5000 so thats alot compared to $5.99 plus tax for a pack of fuses!

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is wired on the 30a fuses as well on both trucks. I wouldn't worry about it.