Houston, we are GO FOR LAUNCH!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrailRunner

Reaction score
Hey guys, it’s been a while since I’ve posted. Anyways, I just got a new job, I’ve looked at the finances, and I’ve talked to the wife… looks like we are good to start shopping around for a Gen 2 raptor!

Before making any purchasing decisions I wanted to see what FRF thinks about upgrading 17-18 suspension vs 19-20. Do the 19-20 live value shocks benefit from adding +4 Deavers and a bypass rack? Would it be more cost effective to do Deavers/bypass rack for a 17-18? Would you recommend getting a 19-20 and staying with stock live valve shocks? Any other options I’m not considering or costs I’m overlooking (such as need bigger fenders/more skid plate protection/etc before additional travel)?

Geiser springs in the front will also definitely happen but I don’t have the money for a mid travel kit.

We live in SoCal so I’m trying to hit the dirt more and eventually make it down to Baja. The truck will still be my daily but I want something more off-road capable.

Thanks for all of your insight!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Despite what many on FRF proclaim, there are MAYBE half a dozen FRF who are able to over drive the stock ’17 - ’18 suspension. Most of the rest of are posing.

Get the truck.
Drive the truck.
Take the truck off road.
You will back off before the truck will.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Despite what many on FRF proclaim, there are MAYBE half a dozen FRF who are able to over drive the stock ’17 - ’18 suspension. Most of the rest of are posing.

Get the truck.
Drive the truck.
Take the truck off road.
You will back off before the truck will.
Depends on what you mean by over drive.

I frequently use all of my suspension, but I’m not sure I would put myself in, realistically even near, the top half dozen on this forum

Good advice on just get the truck and drive it, then decide after a good amount of outings if you want/need more

OP
OP
TrailRunner

TrailRunner

Reaction score
Whats your budget?
Budgeting $55k for the truck itself and I’d like to keep mods $10k or under. However, that also includes includes any cosmetic upgrades, such as window tinting and possibly a bed cover/spray in liner if the truck I buy doesn’t already have those.

Find a raptor already 85% done.

I’m leaning away from this option because I have yet to find a truck modded to my specific needs and tastes. I also worry about the workmanship for previous mods and overall condition for trucks that see a lot of use in the desert. Plus it’s just more fun to shop for mods and install them yourself lol. That said, let me know if you know someone looking to sell a clean Gen 2 in SoCal.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Check the classifieds here. Think I saw a few for sale. $10k is not much as far as big ticket items.

With that being said, I would look for a '19-'20 year truck with live valves. Go the eclick route. Most seem to really enjoy it and state it preforms well. Can add to it over time as needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter