High Pressure Power Steering Line Leaking Already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMWBig6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brought my 2011 in for its 45K service, and they found a weeping high pressure line. $100 special order part + 3 hours labor. This seems a little soon (to me) for PS components to be failing already, or is this a common repair? They said I could leave it alone for now and monitor it but could lose power steering while driving (safety risk).

Anybody heard of high pressure power steering line leaks at such low mileage/age before? Does 3 hours labor sound about right? They also offered to flush the entire power steering system for another $140.

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that at about the same mileage and they replaced it never had an issue again. Pretty sure they just had an issue with the original part and updated it with the replacement so I wouldn't worry about it

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Brought my 2011 in for its 45K service, and they found a weeping high pressure line. $100 special order part + 3 hours labor. This seems a little soon (to me) for PS components to be failing already, or is this a common repair? They said I could leave it alone for now and monitor it but could lose power steering while driving (safety risk).

Anybody heard of high pressure power steering line leaks at such low mileage/age before? Does 3 hours labor sound about right? They also offered to flush the entire power steering system for another $140.

Yeah, been seeing more and more of these lines go bad right around that mileage. Mine did as well. Probably a bit much on the labour, but they go by a book and charge you just that.

You should ask if it is covered under the drive train warranty. Probably not, but didn't hurt to ask.

Definitely get it replaced. It's not a safety point, cause you can still drive without The P.S., but it sucks. The system as a whole is a weak point on the raptor.

The $140 for a flush is ridiculous! Shouldn't be any more than $100. Ask them what fluid they use? Maybe it has gold flex in it? Lol...

Donate to Avery and be entered into a raffle for an awesome prize for your Raptor.

TRAIN HORNS!!! Thanks to Hornblasters.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=801448

OP
OP
B

BMWBig6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the data points and advice guys! I hope the replacement part is a revised design so I don't have to revisit this again in another 40k miles.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the data points and advice guys! I hope the replacement part is a revised design so I don't have to revisit this again in another 40k miles.

Be sure to let us know how the repair goes, BMWBig6. If you need any help from my neck of the woods, just give me a shout. :)

Crystal

FireLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think mine is also leaking... 2011 50k miles..

The PS reservoir was empty and I found a wet line, which I assume, by looking at the microfiche, is the lower high pressure line..

cff9f01cc1d4679aa3d95811fb4ced06.jpg

Do you guys think it would be ok to top off and drive for a few days? Until I can get to Ford?

OP
OP
B

BMWBig6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably ok (but not recommended) to top off and limp to dealer if you monitor the level frequently, it could have been leaking like that for weeks. Just be mindful that you could lose all power assist (and then be left with manual steering) while driving, and the loss could be abrupt (not gradual). The official advice is probably to park it until you can get to the dealer (for liability reasons of course).

Dlamb11

Reaction score
I just took my raptor in yesterday to get it looked over before I travel 800 miles for holiday. 71k miles on mine. Same year 2011. Mine is seeping or leaking from the adapter where it goes in below the oil filter in your picture. Same general area as you show in your pic. 117.40 for part and 2 hours of labor. Truck was bought from original owner and serviced every 3k miles by him. Oil change isn't due until 74k,but ford said I was 1/4 quart low on oil. Ford tech said it could be problem down road,but said he's seen those parts leak or seep for years and nothing happens.

Sorry for the ramble,but seems like what you have and what I have could be issue or a weak area on these trucks. Truck goes in Friday. Does seem high price for little parts on these trucks. 60 ac vents that break easy,and 117 for a adapter. But,it is what it is I guess. Good luck on your fix.

Last edited: